Is it only possible to use one VST effect per channel?

Started by HereticBeats, November 05, 2013, 08:05:11

Previous topic - Next topic

HereticBeats

Hi!

I've recently started using OpenMPT a bit, but I just can't figure out how to use more than one VST effect per channel? The "General" tab only allows to set ONE effect per channel...

How do I do this?

Thanks in advance.
Hardware: HP Pavilion g7 | M-Audio Audiophile USB + Studiophile BX5a | Numark PT01 USB | Akai MPC2500 SE | Akai S1000 | Akai MPD18

Software: Windows 7 | OpenMPT | Audacity 2 | BeatCleaver | TX16Wx 2 Pro | Poise | E-MU Proteus VX 2 | Novation Bass Station 2 + V-Station 2 | Wusik EVE 3 | FireBird+ 2

LPChip

You set the first plugin if your chain to a channel/instrument.

From the general tab, click on the first plugin, then at the bottom right, there's this output to field. Change it to fx??? and the plugin in that slot will be the next. Do this as many times as you want and you create a plugin chain.

Do note, you can only link to plugins with a higher number. So FX4 can go to FX8, but FX8 cannot go to FX4.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

HereticBeats

First, sorry for the delailed reply.

Thanks for your answer! I now understand how to make one VST(i) chain. BUT...

What if I want to make two chains?

Say I have one instrument on channel 4 that I want to apply a HP filter to, and another instrument on channel 5 that I want to apply a LP filter to. I can't figure out how to apply the LP filter to channel 5 without it also being applied the HP filter (which I only want on channel 4).

I think what I need is to make multiple chains (if so, how???), but if the solution is another one, please enlighten me!!!

Thanks a lot in advance! OpenMPT is quite fascinating when you start experimenting with it!
Hardware: HP Pavilion g7 | M-Audio Audiophile USB + Studiophile BX5a | Numark PT01 USB | Akai MPC2500 SE | Akai S1000 | Akai MPD18

Software: Windows 7 | OpenMPT | Audacity 2 | BeatCleaver | TX16Wx 2 Pro | Poise | E-MU Proteus VX 2 | Novation Bass Station 2 + V-Station 2 | Wusik EVE 3 | FireBird+ 2

Saga Musix

Uhm, route one instrument's output to the highpass filter and the other instrument's output to the lowpass filter? Where's the problem? If you don't specify that the highpass filter is being applied to the lowpass filter, this is simply not done, so if the two chains don't reference plugins from each other's chain, they are not connected to each other.
Note that you can combine two chains into one by routing one chain's output into some plugin of the other chain, but at the moment you cannot split up the signal of one chain into two independent chains.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

You cannot have 2 instruments that share the same VSTi have different outputs.

If you have 2 instruments that both go the same FX slot, they will share that entire chain. So in order to make it work, you have to load in a new instance of that plugin in a different slot, and set its output to a different plugin.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

HereticBeats

Yo!

Thanks for the helpful replies, everyone. I finally understand it, I think! It is working anyway... Just to ne sure that I am doing it correctly. I'd like to get confirmation from one of you that the following configuration for two VST instruments (on each their own channel), assigned to two effects each, is correct:

Channel 1 - Effect: FX1: Blarg (VSTi synth)
Channel 2 - Effect: FX5: Bass Station (VSTi synth)

FX1: Blarg (VSTi synth) --> FX2
FX2: GLow (VST effect) --> FX3
FX3: GGain (VST effect) --> Default
FX4:
FX5: Bass Station (VSTi synth) --> FX6
FX6: TAL-Bitcrusher (VST effect) --> FX7
FX7: TAL-Reverb-2 (VST effect) --> Default

Questions:

1) Is it correct to start the VST chain with the VST instrument/synth?
2) Is it correct to set 'Effect' under Channel to the instrument in the VST chain (as opposed to, for example, the first effect in the chain)?
3) Any other comments to the above configuration? Anything done wrongly?

Again, thanks. After your next answer(s), I promise I won't waste more of your time on this issue... :)

LPChip

Yup, you've got it entirely right.

Also handy to know: If you check the master checkbox on any effect, it will always be applied to everything.

Also, if you would want your Blarg to have the same reverb as the Bass Station, you could let FX3 go to FX7. You can link multiple sources to one output, but all plugins after that will also be on the chain. So: No splitting of plugin chains, but merging is okay. Like a reversed treeview.

Saga Musix

Quote from: HereticBeats on November 22, 2013, 10:13:41
2) Is it correct to set 'Effect' under Channel to the instrument in the VST chain (as opposed to, for example, the first effect in the chain)?
You do not have to assign any channel effects if the VST instrument itself is already assigned to a tracker instrument. Assigning VSTis as channel plugins is deprecated. Assigning channel plugins is only needed for sample-based channels in this case.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Another reason to assign a plugin to a channel, is to be able to quickly access its interface, especially if you have the master checkbox set. It can also be useful if you are still working with SFx and Zxx commands, but like assigning channel plugins, it is deprecated to use this function, and you should use PCs instead given they directly can access any plugin in your chain without having a plugin assigned to your channel.
Correct me if I'm wrong Saga Musix, but I think I got it right this time. :nuts:

Saga Musix

QuoteAnother reason to assign a plugin to a channel, is to be able to quickly access its interface
You can do the same by picking up an instrument number (e.g. using the "pick up nearest instrument number" shortcut) and then clicking the plugin button next to the instrument selector, though.
QuoteIt can also be useful if you are still working with SFx and Zxx commands
This is only required if no note has been triggered yet; If the instrument has played at least once on the channel before applying a Zxx effect, the instrument's plugin will receive these messages. However, keep this very important paragraph from the manal in mind: While instrument plugins override channel plugins (i.e. if an instrument has a plugin assigned, the sample output of this instrument is not routed through the channel′s effect plugin), channel plugins are always preferred over instrument plugins when using MIDI Macros.

HereticBeats

Quote from: LPChip on November 22, 2013, 11:17:00
Also, if you would want your Blarg to have the same reverb as the Bass Station, you could let FX3 go to FX7. You can link multiple sources to one output, but all plugins after that will also be on the chain. So: No splitting of plugin chains, but merging is okay. Like a reversed treeview.

Ahh, cool, that merging-thing is a handy little tip. Thanks.