Midi Hardware with Modplug

Started by oxxi, November 01, 2013, 16:46:08

Previous topic - Next topic

oxxi

Since I use computers at work so much now, I have been thinking of getting some hardware to use in conjunction with Modplug for sequencing. I would like to know if anybody here has had great success in sequencing Midi hardware (modular synths etc.) with Modplug. I'm mainly interested in latency issues for note data and clock, and if it's also possible for each Modplug channel to correspond to individual midi channels per external midi instrument. I do have some ideas on what to probably get to make this work but I would like some advice on any audio/midi interfaces, synths etc. for this kind of setup to work properly before I start acquiring equipment.
////

Saga Musix

As long as you can use a low-latency audio driver*, recording and sending MIDI data from/to external devices should work nicely with tight timing. For me personally, I'm happy with 10ms latency even though I could go lower. WASAPI with 20ms already introduced a noticeable lag, samples and external hardware will be slightly out of sync.
As for assigning pattern channels to MIDI channels, you can select the "mapped" setting in an instrument's MIDI output channel dropdown list. Pattern channel 1 corresponds to MIDI channel 1, pattern channel 2 to MIDI channel 2 and so on.
Enabling quantization from the pattern editor's context menu will also help a lot when recording from MIDI devices (and also from the PC keyboard).

On the equipment side, even cheap USB-to-MIDI converter cables work perfectly, no need for an expensive MIDI interface but it will of course be a nice bonus, especially if you plan to connect more than one synth. As an example, I use my ESI Maya44E's MIDI interface for one keyboard synth (bi-directional), one noname USB-to-MIDI converter for yet another keyboard synth (also bi-directional) and an ESI MIDIMATE 2 to output MIDI to two rack synths (no input coming from them, so I can make use of the fact that both plugs of this USB converter can be used as outputs or inputs).

EDIT: OpenMPT does not send out any MIDI clock events, by the way.

* ASIO, WASAPI and WDM-KS (which will be a new option in OpenMPT 1.22.06.00, to be released tomorrow) will serve this purpose perfectly.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.