Mapping instruments to Roland MT32 or SoundCanvas when exporting to MIDI

Started by DaveJustDave, October 08, 2013, 05:55:41

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveJustDave

I'm exporting a 4 channel mod to midi. 

In the export dialogue there is a simple way to match each sample in the MOD to a melodic or percussive instrument.

I would like a way to match samples to the actual instruments on my roland devices instead of the GM instruments.

How would I go about doing this? Do I need to find/import/create an instrument library?

thanks in advance!

Saga Musix

The instrument names are hardcoded. You'll have to remember the correct patch numbers to map them to something different than GM.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

As far as I know, when you playback a midi on a keyboard, it does not use the internal sounds, but uses an own midi bank to map the standard 128 sounds to an internal library that may or may not use some of the internal sounds.

I noticed this very well on my Yamaha PSR-740. It has over 500 internal sounds, with effects on each sound, but when using the midi functionalirt (either playback of a midi file, or by using midi-out to the keyboard's midi in) it would not allow me to access the internal sounds. Still had a good sound, but the point I'm trying to make is that if you keep the names as OpenMPT suggests them, it will likely work.

Maybe those sounds are accessible as GS or XG sounds, but I was unable to get them to be played.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

LPChip, the MT-32 is not compatible with General MIDI by default, so that's of no help here.

I noticed this very well on my Yamaha PSR-740. It has over 500 internal sounds, with effects on each sound, but when using the midi functionalirt (either playback of a midi file, or by using midi-out to the keyboard's midi in) it would not allow me to access the internal sounds. Still had a good sound, but the point I'm trying to make is that if you keep the names as OpenMPT suggests them, it will likely work.
XG sounds are on a different sound bank than the default one. You just have to find the right bank, which you should be either able to find out through the MIDI implementation chart or by monitoring the MIDI output of your device. On the Yamaha CS1x, the "performance" and "user" banks are bank 65 / 66 for example.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.