[OT] Website brainstorm

Started by Squirrel Havoc, April 23, 2006, 07:15:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Squirrel Havoc

Hello, it's about time I do my 6th redesign of my site, and I am stumped as to a few things. Like layout, what kind of dynamic content to add, stuff like that. So I need your advice.

If you were going to a trackers website, what kind of layout would you like to see and why? Forget what you dont like about my current site, its a total mess, but think about sites you have seen that you liked, and what you didnt like.

Also, I have PHP capabilities now, so things can be dynamic, so what kinds of things would you like to customize/see/whatever?

Current ideas:

• Customizable theme, such as font, color scheme, stuff like that.
  • NO flash, java, and minimal images, to go easy on modem/slow PC users
  • Guestbook
  • Download stats for songs and images, plus commenting for songs
  • No frames
Sections will include Music (duh), Projects (programming stuff I have done), Gallery (mix between CG and images I have taken), Links, Contact, About.

So what do you think I should add?
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

DavidN

What I did during my site redesign was stick the entirety of the song information into a MySQL database - it made updating the place far easier, and as you've learned PHP it's the obvious step to take. If you don't have that, a comma separated TXT might work as well.

Squirrel Havoc

Quote from: "Wong"If you don't have that, a comma separated TXT might work as well.

When I was too lazy to learn SQL, i thought about creating a text file database, like an INI file, but what happens when 2 people comment on a song at the same time and it tries to write 2 times at once? I dont know how that would be handled. But yeah, song info will be in HTML, and song stats/comments will be in SQL database now that I have figured out the beast.
-

LPChip

Quote from: "Squirrel Havoc"
Quote from: "Wong"If you don't have that, a comma separated TXT might work as well.

When I was too lazy to learn SQL, i thought about creating a text file database, like an INI file, but what happens when 2 people comment on a song at the same time and it tries to write 2 times at once? I dont know how that would be handled. But yeah, song info will be in HTML, and song stats/comments will be in SQL database now that I have figured out the beast.

Proper written scripts (using php's fopen command) will make sure that the file will be closed before it is opened again.

Just program it so that the routine first opens the file, reads it content, and in that same run writes the data to the file.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Squirrel Havoc

Quote from: "LPChip"Proper written scripts (using php's fopen command) will make sure that the file will be closed before it is opened again.

Just program it so that the routine first opens the file, reads it content, and in that same run writes the data to the file.

.........I just learned SQL for nothing...... Everything I am doing in databases I could have done with a simple text file, I was just worried it would get corrupt. Oh well, maybe it will come in handy
-

rewbs

Learning the database stuff is definitely not a waste of time... DBs have many many benefits over flat text files and in the long run are much easier to work with.

LPChip

Quote from: "rewbs"Learning the database stuff is definitely not a waste of time... DBs have many many benefits over flat text files and in the long run are much easier to work with.

I totally agree!

I first did everything with txt files, but when I started to use SQL Db's, I didn't even wanted to get in all the hastle with txt files. Besides, You do a simple query and you can define exactly how and what data you retreive.

For instance, its easier to count how many entries you have in a table than in a txt file. You can easilly add a record or even an entry without having a hastle to take it into account for all your current songs.

Example: you have 100 songs which has the fields: name, count, url as parameters. You want to add a comments field which has a text field giving all the comments that were made in html formatting.

Since adding comments is something that will happen in the future, you don't have to add comments for each song. Atleast not in a DB. However, for your file, you need to go to each song to add a comments field.

in the db, you just add a comments field, with initial value EMPTY.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Squirrel Havoc

One thing I would like to learn in database programming is reversing the order of the data retrieved with a SELECT statement, so the newest entry is first
-

KrazyKatz

Make the site EASY to browse. The previous modplug site I found I had to get the hang of to find what I needed. The new site should have a KISS (keep it simple stupid) approach. Whilst this may seem to lack dynamics, too much dynamics encourage people to leave. Dynamics should be to impress and as a result should be used ONLY where needed to impress and catch ones attention. If the site is oversaturated in dynamic content you can no longer catch the eye. Talking about oversaturating is using a RED outlay. Red is outright catching so use it to make a point.

as for cool stuff to put on:

Hows about song of the day.

Articles section : talking about composing, using modplug, proffesional industry, why use modplug, Rock musics, filmscores, jazz hip hop etc... etc... ( Id be glad to contribute )...Hell you could dedicate entire sections on the subtopics. Make Modplug a useful resource for people that track and dont, and music lovers in general, and you could advertise within the various sections for the dough. Such as DJ Madboymcgees advert in the Trance section or whatever.

News bubble on front page of course.
Modplug users love the program and since its free would love to donate. You could make a link to donate to the producer / website administrator / janitor etc... or Buy the modpluig T-shirt / Mug / beer Mug. Beer mug is a good idea. No one sells official beer mugs. This could be the start of something.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Keep up the great site.

P.s modplug cold host competitions...WAY COOL.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

DavidN

Squirrel: "SELECT these, are, some, columns FROM mytable ORDER BY date DESC".

Randilyn

[deleted]

DavidN

Now, that is something I like about PHP - the huge number of functions that are included just to make things easier for you. Like "stripslashes", and so on.

Matt Hartman

:idea:
80% HTML
20% Flash

FLASH

There's nothing wrong with Flash when its used in moderation and the file size is kept low. One can really do amazing things. Action script 2.0 is very intuitive these days. (can use java, php, html, etc.) And there's new cool things you can do with Flash player 8.

In case people aren't aware, technology has leaped a million miles in the last 10 years, well even in the last 5 years to be exact.

Do we really want to cater to people who can't get a clue and join the club :?:  

Or reward those who worked hard to purchase a machine and connection that can handle it?  8)

I know, why not cover all bases right?

The question is, "why do I feel I have to"?

If you like Flash, you'll attract others who like Flash too. It's as simple as that.  :wink:

Well, that's my Flash shpeal anyway.

The floor remains open...
Yeah, sure. Right. Whatever.

Harbinger

First of all, we need customizable "page-skins(?)". I'd prefer to browse these forums and compose topics/replies with a more futuristic and dark look (metal edges in blue chrome, for example). Plus, i hate red...yulllkkkhhh!

A few more emoticons would be nice (such as "Good work!", "That was uncalled for", and "I'm not sure i understand").

When designing a web site layout, i notice many of the designers have little artistic or functionality savvy. I can tell, because the important link buttons are kinda hidden by color or texture (y'know like the ones at the top of this page), the order of the buttons is not well thought-out (it should be based on the sequence of actions that a member or visitor is likely to make when browsing), and there is no visual distinction between 'sections' ? the background colors are all the same, the fonts don't distinguish different functions or purposes, or the purposes of different sections are not clear.

Guys, i love the fact that there are SO FEW ads and images that are loaded with the page; that i'd like to keep. Can we reach a happy medium between load time of pages and the custom look each member can apply? Let me ask you this: how hard would it be to make a COMPLETELY customizable page when visiting the site (like MyYahoo, where you can pick what is displayed and where, how big, what color, what font, etc.)?

LPChip

Guys, please keep one thing clear :P

People give reactions based on THIS site, but Squirrel Havoc is asking advice for HIS site ;)