Carying an looped sample on another channel without it restarting playback.

Started by FreezeFlame(Alchemy), September 26, 2013, 19:03:57

Previous topic - Next topic

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

Fully explained,it can come in handy if there is an effect that can move the playback of an instrument(sample) to another channel.

Example:If an string instrument without anykind of loop (an bass for example) is playbacked with not much space (no free rows)left,its impossible to fade it.Same with Looped Samples.Here comes the specific effect in play.

I really need to know what kind of effect it is,and so far haven't found yet found it.
Blue Flames of the Night.

Was known as Alchemy before(with an Dialga picture).

Saga Musix

» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

Yes,but that only works for IT and MPTM.

What about MOD,S3M and XM?

Saga Musix

Yeah, what about them? Why would you want to carry over a playing note to another channel to make room for other notes instead of placing the other notes on a new channel? I'm not even sure what you are asking for here, are you searching for an effect that you have seen in another module but cannot remember its effect letter or are you asking for a new feature to be implemented in legacy formats (not going to happen)?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

QuoteWhy would you want to carry over a playing note to another channel to make room for other notes instead of placing the other notes on a new channel?

So i get more room for percussions and looped string without them restarting(most times it just doesn't fit).Not playing one note beside another (one of many concept's of New Note Action).

I'm not even sure what you are asking for here, are you searching for an effect that you have seen in another module but cannot remember its effect letter or are you asking for a new feature to be implemented in legacy formats (not going to happen)?

Im asking if you know an effect that carries an note's sustain without altering the main polyphony in non IT based formats(forgot to mention that when i posted this,sorry).
About the feature request thing,no thank's.

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

Im closing this topic.

The only effect/command that can carry the sound of an sample/instrument is New Note Action from IT.
No effect of MOD,SM3,and XM possess such an command.

There's nothing to discuss in this topic,the problem is solved :).

LPChip

Reopened. There's a different thing you can do.

Using note offset, you can start a sample to play from a certain location. You find out the position of the note on channel 1, then at channel 2 you place a new note, with note offset and at the same time you mute it at channel1. Note though, that in these cases, I would move that first note to a free channel where it has lots of space, so it can run as it wants. mods are the only formats that are limited in how many channels you can have. s3m already goes up to 32, and xm and it go even higher.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

QuoteUsing note offset, you can start a sample to play from a certain location. You find out the position of the note on channel 1, then at channel 2 you place a new note, with note offset and at the same time you mute it at channel1. Note though, that in these cases, I would move that first note to a free channel where it has lots of space, so it can run as it wants. mods are the only formats that are limited in how many channels you can have. s3m already goes up to 32, and xm and it go even higher.

Thats exacly what i was looking for.Thanks alot LPChip.

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

Quotes3m already goes up to 32

Thats true,but aren't 16 channels used exclusivly for sample playback and 14 for FM synthesis while the other 2 are unused?

Saga Musix

If you want to stay compatible with ScreamTracker 3 then yes, you can only use 16 sample channels. There is no strict channel assignment and the OPL2 chip only has 9 voices anyway, but if you use more than 16 channels in OpenMPT, two channels are assigned to the same "mixer channel" in ST3, which can result in strange things.

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

QuoteIf you want to stay compatible with ScreamTracker 3 then yes, you can only use 16 sample channels.

So,that in other words means that its not advised using the other 16 channels?

QuoteThere is no strict channel assignment and the OPL2 chip only has 9 voices anyway, but if you use more than 16 channels in OpenMPT, two channels are assigned to the same "mixer channel" in ST3, which can result in strange things.

May i ask if its still possible to use the 14 channels for FM synthesis instruments in OpenMPT.I personaly don't care if the OPL2 sound card has only 9 voices,its much better then nothing.

Saga Musix

QuoteSo,that in other words means that its not advised using the other 16 channels?
Up to you. There's no real reason to use S3M anyway since IT is exactly like S3M but with more (optional) features. If you think IT's instrument concept is too complicated for you, just don't use it and you have the same features as in S3M plus a few more.

QuoteMay i ask if its still possible to use the 14 channels for FM synthesis instruments in OpenMPT.I personaly don't care if the OPL2 sound card has only 9 voices,its much better then nothing.
Err, how about no? First off, OpenMPT doesn't support Adlib S3Ms and probably never will and furthermore, what would be the point in hacking a theoretically used OPL library that would be necessary to play Adlib sounds to support more channels? If you want OPL sounds, use a plugin or sample them.

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

QuoteUp to you. There's no real reason to use S3M anyway since IT is exactly like S3M but with more (optional) features. If you think IT's instrument concept is too complicated for you, just don't use it and you have the same features as in S3M plus a few more.

Im practicing with older formats to get an better understanding on how to use them and the future one's(since most are build on the same concept,correct me if im wrong),reason why i don't use IT,MPTM and XM intesive yet.

QuoteErr, how about no? First off, OpenMPT doesn't support Adlib S3Ms and probably never will and furthermore, what would be the point in hacking a theoretically used OPL library that would be necessary to play Adlib sounds to support more channels? If you want OPL sounds, use a plugin or sample them.

Ok,i get it.This questions been for quite some time fuzzing in my head after reading of the FM compatiblity in S3M.
But im suprised how you and the other developers managed to turn the FM specialized channels in Digital ones.
Congratulations for that ;).

Saga Musix

Quote from: FreezeFlame(Alchemy) on September 30, 2013, 13:35:50
Im practicing with older formats to get an better understanding on how to use them and the future one's(since most are build on the same concept,correct me if im wrong),reason why i don't use IT,MPTM and XM intesive yet.
XM is about one to two years newer than S3M, and IT is about a year newer than XM. How is that "not old"? Again: If IT without instruments gives you exactly the same set of features with more channels, why don't you simply use IT?

QuoteErr, how about no? First off, OpenMPT doesn't support Adlib S3Ms and probably never will and furthermore, what would be the point in hacking a theoretically used OPL library that would be necessary to play Adlib sounds to support more channels? If you want OPL sounds, use a plugin or sample them.

Quote from: FreezeFlame(Alchemy) on September 30, 2013, 13:35:50
But im suprised how you and the other developers managed to turn the FM specialized channels in Digital ones.
Congratulations for that ;).
Err, there is nothing to congratulate about. OpenMPT (like 99% of all S3M players) simply doesn't care about ST3's channel assignments and can play samples on any channel. The important difference lies in the instrument itself, whether it contains a sample or an FM patch. OpenMPT simply won't read instruments with FM patches.

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

QuoteXM is about one to two years newer than S3M, and IT is about a year newer than XM. How is that "not old"? Again: If IT without instruments gives you exactly the same set of features with more channels, why don't you simply use IT?

Actually,i do use IT.Haven't yet fully realized the usage of its many features yet.
So far,im experimenting with older formats to see how people were able to design music with those.Its not that IT is ''complicated'',but im not yet feeling ready composing fully with the IT format.

Err, there is nothing to congratulate about. OpenMPT (like 99% of all S3M players) simply doesn't care about ST3's channel assignments and can play samples on any channel. The important difference lies in the instrument itself, whether it contains a sample or an FM patch. OpenMPT simply won't read instruments with FM patches.

FM patches??
First time hearing about them.And there is not much of an need for OPL compatiblity anyway,since there are FM synthesis VST plugins avaiable.