Use up to 64 midi channels ?...

Started by RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER), August 28, 2013, 04:14:57

Previous topic - Next topic

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

I was wondering if there could have some way of having king of 16*4 channels in "MIDI/Vsti channels" option of the "instruments" editor...Like 1-16(A) - 1-16(B) - 1-16 (C) - 1-16(D), corresponding to the "Port (A) - (B) - (C) - (D)" of "Kontakt", for instance, allowing to have up to 64 midi channels...

This would be usefull, especially for symphonic music, where having 16 midi channels only is quite weak, even with program changes...

Saga Musix

I don't think that you can use more than 16 MIDI channels with VST2, and VST3 support is not on the roadmap for now. Or do you have any examples of VST2 hosts that support more than 16 MIDI channels per plugin?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

You indeed still use 16 midi channels, but I've seen it even with the GUS, that it is able to distinguish data on a midi channel. What RG asks is using this distinction. Though I have no idea how to do that nor how to use these ports. The gus did it using program changes to change one channel to a different "memory segment". You still could only use 16 different voices at a same time though. Not sure how kontact does it.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

QuoteWhat RG asks is using this distinction.
No, there is no standardized way to do this, simply because of the MIDI specs not being designed to to this. Certain synth manufacturers have their own MIDI extensions to declare extra channels, but this is nothing OpenMPT can support that easily. And the VST2 specs simply don't give you more than 16 MIDI channels - in VST3, more channels can be grouped, but we don't support VST3. Some forum posts suggest that MIDI channels 17-64 are only available in Kontakt standalone mode, which would make sense.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)