Automating mod wheel on a VST

Started by sso, August 24, 2013, 09:00:08

Previous topic - Next topic

sso

what are the commands for , if i want to automate the modwheel on a vsti ?

Saga Musix

On most plugins, you should be able to control it using MIDI CC 1 (set it up using the Zxx MIDI macro configuration dialog), and you can also automate it using some VST parameter in many cases (find out which one it is by enabling recording controller changes to pattern). Also, please don't use thread titles like "for anyone bored and nothing to do, questions.", they are of no help for anyone.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

sso

allrigthy, thanks.

what about those p commands? seem to remember something like that, but cant find it now.

Saga Musix

» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

sso

yes, thank you.

couldnt seem to find those, wondering if it had been changed, found them easily in an earlier version.

would that work instead? i seem to be too dumb to use the midi commands. (i used to be a wiz at all those tracker commands back in the day, then started just using vst´s and whatnot to change everything later, seem to have become braindamaged in the process.)

Saga Musix

There haven't been any changes regarding the usage of PC Events. Since you are being terribly unspecific, I can only make a wild guess - maybe you're not working in the MPTM format and thus PC Events are not available?
And as said - if the modwheel is exposed through VST parameters, yes, then it could work - otherwise you will have to set up Zxx macros to control MIDI CC 1 - again, all of this is being explained in the manual, so if you're not willing to read up on that, I can't really help you any further.

sso

ive read the manual, didnt find it helpful..

would be great if someone could send me a mptm where this is done. (not a full song. just a brief snippet with it being done. preferably with fm8 since thats what i use the most, but i suppose anything else would do, massive, ana maybe or something.)

it would be great if both the p command the midi routing were in it, i seem to learn best by example..

if anyone does it, id be fucking grateful and you are awesome.

Saga Musix

Quote from: sso on August 29, 2013, 17:24:47ive read the manual, didnt find it helpful..
Maybe you should be a bit more verbose on what you don't understand then. You spend five minutes explaining your problem, I spend five minutes helping you. I doesn't work if you're not willing to go into details. There is no point in providing an example with PC Events because, as said, the mod wheel could have a different parameter number on every synth, so the example might work with one synth but not another. The easiest way to find out the parameter number is to hold shift while turning the mod wheel in the synth's editor. When using Zxx, it's as simple as setting up a Zxx macro as it can be seen in the attached screenshot.

sso

well, that five minutes of help works just fine. thanks.