4pat1

Started by Atlantis, August 04, 2013, 13:06:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlantis

Several years ago (10 years ago in fact), few of us ModPlug artists got together and made a combined song. We were assigned 30 second each, and my parts are at 3:30 and 7:30. Other members included Cyborg, LPChip, Goofy, Rewbs, Ganja, Georg, Shadegate, Atlantis. The track was mixed down by myself.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69044219/MODPlug%20Artists%20-%204pat1.rar
Put an end to the loudness war. Don't limit or compress your mixdown until mastering; leave the master channel alone.

http://www.facebook.com/atlanteanrecords

Atlantis

Anyone know where I can find these past members, particularly Rewbs, Ganja, Georg? At least they were the most active here...
Put an end to the loudness war. Don't limit or compress your mixdown until mastering; leave the master channel alone.

Saga Musix

You should still be able to contact rewbs through the forum, dunno about the others. You can always try.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Atlantis

Thanks, I will see if I can get in contact with them. I'm sure I'll find ganja's real name if I plug in my 'module' drive and search for him that way. In the meantime, any word on our track? I got it wrong, we were actually assigned 4 patterns, but I think that tended to be 30 seconds each. Keep in mind this was made 10 years ago without any VST effects, though I did use VST effects (Waves) for the mixdown.

yeroc424

Ahhhh, this is so cool! I like how it kept the overall theme, even as you could tell that the production was changed every thirty seconds. It was cool to hear how each person added their own sort of style to the song!

I really don't know what it is, but 4pat1 just seems so awesome XD

Atlantis

I actually got it slightly wrong, we were assigned 4 patterns each, which is why it was called "4 pattern project 1". At the speed we used this equated to 30 seconds each (I varied it of course, haha). I'm glad you liked it! A lot of the original theme was actually created by LPChip I think!

Atlantis

I honestly think Rewbs did a fantastic job spicing things up! I've been trying to contact ganja since it's been a while since we've seen him.

LPChip

I indeed created the idea. I often did co-op projects this way. You start a song, and you add 4 patterns to the song. But in order to work on your 4 patterns, you are allowed to change the last pattern of the previous person in any way, so you can add that transition needed to work on it. At first we were going to do just one round of all participients, but it seemed that everyone was really enjoying themselves so we went a 2nd time.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Since the whole concept is based around a number of patterns, why not provide the original module file instead of a WAV (and why not FLAC)?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

georg

I'll never make sword-chucks...
Update - 2013 I still havent made sword-chuks.
Update - 2021 What the hell are sword-chuks? :((

LPChip

"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

rewbs

It can't possibly be 10 years. Wow.

georg

roooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooobs.

What is this? A reunion?
Now you, speed-focus.

And the track, it was a very cool project. Everyone took about two weeks to work, and there was a lot of impatience. Until it was your turn, you really had no idea where you could go.

I remember Cyborg kicking it of with no direction whatsoever and LPChip steering it in a direction of his own liking.
That wasn't apparently the direction of Goofy/Nofold's liking because he re-hijacked it.
Fortunately Rewbs did not object so much and the track more or less continued.
Ganja/Speed-Focus then cruely used his powers of telepathy to realise exactly what kind of spin i wanted to put on things, and did it himself. In another 10 years i might forgive this theft.
I of course being possesed of wisdom only eclipsed by my modesty realised that continuity was so desperately needed. A cynic might mistake that for a lack of originality, but that is a common misconception. Esp. among peasents. Incorporating themes used previously in the song and ensuring respite from constant style changes and mood swings was my gift to the project.
Of course, that only invited Shadey to brutaly discombobulate the flow, but that in turn opened the door for Atlantis to deftly pick up the pieces and reconstruct them. Probably the finest point.

The second round was not quite up to the creative quality of the first one, though LPChip nailed it with his effort.

As a whole, i don't know how well it works out. It was a good project to do and be a part of. The contrast between Atlantis and LPChip's more melodious orchestration and Goof/Rewbs/Ganja/my own focus on rythmical construction is clashing rather than complementary. Some of the individual parts are rich enough to expand, but they don't truly work together so well.

Has the original thread survived the years? Or is it lost? I would love to read it.
Also, if there's any interest in music from that time, or if some is missing, i have kept much of it. No promises, but if you lost some mp3s or .its shout. I may have them.
I'll never make sword-chucks...
Update - 2013 I still havent made sword-chuks.
Update - 2021 What the hell are sword-chuks? :((

Saga Musix

Quote from: georg on August 12, 2013, 20:55:49
As a whole, i don't know how well it works out. It was a good project to do and be a part of. The contrast between Atlantis and LPChip's more melodious orchestration and Goof/Rewbs/Ganja/my own focus on rythmical construction is clashing rather than complementary. Some of the individual parts are rich enough to expand, but they don't truly work together so well.

I think I have to agree here.

Quote from: georg on August 12, 2013, 20:55:49Has the original thread survived the years? Or is it lost? I would love to read it.
The current forum is based on the after-forum crash started some time around 2006. You may have some luck viewing the old forum through the wayback machine, although many links there won't work... so good luck.

Quote from: georg on August 12, 2013, 20:55:49Also, if there's any interest in music from that time, or if some is missing, i have kept much of it. No promises, but if you lost some mp3s or .its shout. I may have them.
I intended to bring back some of the old modplug central downloads on a slightly more interactive website, but there are simply too many risks involved with providing hosting space for music... and let's face it, everyone is using SoundCloud/Bandcamp these days anyways, and people are too lazy even to upload their music to The Mod Archive. But if you have any old stuff from that period, I'd definitely be interested in restoring it in some way or another.

PPH

I remember that :D
============
PPH
-Melody Enthusiast
============