Any merit in these ideas for MPTM pattern commands?

Started by Christofori, August 04, 2013, 01:33:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Christofori

Hey folks.  :)

i'm asking the two questions which follow, because i don't know if switching between simple(duple)-meter and compound(triple)-meter would be of much use to others.  In some recent tracking, the thought to change the meter (after having established simple meter [ie: 4/4 or common time] with nearly 3 minutes' worth of stuff written into 41 patterns...) occurred to me; and some nice ideas for how i'd write the transition and establish it (musically-speaking) then followed.  So then, i wondered if it would even be possible (or, at least -- worth the effort of re-working the existing 41 patterns just to make ONE "easy switch" to compound.  The "easy switch" i allude to is mentioned in my post/tip/suggestion from sometime back; link follows...).
http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=4406.msg36264#msg36264

So... then i wondered if the following 2 thoughts might help those in similar moments.  Decided then that they also deserved discussion prior to any kind of feature request; because i don't know if such things are the correct direction to obtain the kind of effect/result i'd mentioned above, nor if allowing/adding such functionality would be beneficial (or if there would be unforeseen problems that would essentially open the door allowing the user to start "playing with fire"...?  heh).

1) Any merit to the idea of adding a pattern data command which would allow the setting/adjusting of the Rows/Beat setting...?

2) Any merit in allowing the instrument's "Loop Tempo" setting to be set/adjusted from within the pattern data?

So... thoughts? :)
/christofori
'slightly disturbed and wonderfully content'
*Master of the Obvious*

Saga Musix

Quote1) Any merit to the idea of adding a pattern data command which would allow the setting/adjusting of the Rows/Beat setting...?
You can already override the time signature setting for each pattern in the MPTM format in the pattern properties. When you insert a new pattern, it will use the same signature as the previously focussed pattern, so after you have changed it once, it shouldn't get into your way again until you decide to change the time signature once again.
Quote2) Any merit in allowing the instrument's "Loop Tempo" setting to be set/adjusted from within the pattern data?
No, since it's so easy to duplicate a whole instrument with one click, I don't see why it would be so necessary.

Also, I'm moving this thread, because it has nothing to do with developing OpenMPT.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Christofori

/christofori
'slightly disturbed and wonderfully content'
*Master of the Obvious*