How do I import new instruments in the form of WAVs?

Started by Kitsune_Phoenix, June 19, 2013, 22:46:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitsune_Phoenix

I'm new to OpenMPT (version 1.22.03), and I have been trying to find a way to import some instrument samples that a friend made. However, they are all WAV files.

Also, I am having difficulty swapping out the instruments in a MIDI that I imported. So far the only way I can do it is to export the MIDI and swap out each instrument at a time with each export, and then re-import it. However, I feel that the question above is more important at the moment.

(P.S.: If requested, I am more than willing to attach the instruments I am trying to import and the MIDI I'm trying to edit, as an example.)

---

Any assistance would be highly appreciated.

Saga Musix

OpenMPT has no problem at all with dealing with WAV files (as long as they're uncompressed, which most of them are). You can load WAV files both into the sample or instrument editor.
Does this work for you, or are you having trouble importing a specific WAV file? In that case, it might be compressed and has to be converted to PCM or Float WAV first in some external audio editor.
Please be aware that OpenMPT was never meant to be a MIDI editor, though, so both its MIDI import and export are rather poor.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Kitsune_Phoenix

Ah, thanks. I'm trying to figure out how to convert a batch of WAV files into an instrument bank, that way I can use the various instruments I would normally have to import one-by-one.

Saga Musix

By "instrument bank", are you referring to the "MIDI Library" folder in OpenMPT that is used when importing MIDI files? Of course there's the slow way to replace every single instrument there one by one by double-clicking it and selecting a new file. Another way is to stuff all samples into a DLS / SF2 soundfont first and then replace the MIDI library with that (I have never worked with DLS / SF2 software so I have no idea how much work that would be). And even another way would be to generate a list of instruments in the Ultrasound format and import this as a MIDI library; that requires all files to end in .pat instead of .wav though. So that's probably again more work.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.