Pattern/order-list maximums?

Started by LDAsh, April 22, 2013, 01:40:30

Previous topic - Next topic

LDAsh

Hi, I really like this software, but I have a couple of issues so far.

I use a very fast tempo to get tighter samples in, so my patterns usually represent more like the length of a beat rather than a bar.  I don't want to use bigger patterns because I compose a lot using a NintendoDS with NitroTracker DS (http://nitrotracker.tobw.net).  I also find it handy to combine different parts of a bar this way, instead of editing a pattern I can simply paste these different patterns in different orders and transpose them more easily too.

The issue is that I seem to be limited to 240 unique patterns and 256 patterns referenced in the order list.  I can't seem to get that 241st pattern in, and I also can't paste/insert anything beyond 255 entries in the order list otherwise it shoves the last entry into oblivion.  It's also a pain because I like to use a lot of separators too.

My 2 questions are:-
- are these limits correct?
&
- is there any way to increase these limits to a higher value?

Thanks!

Saga Musix

It all depends on the format. Since you mention NitroTracker, I assume you're using the XM format, which is limited to 255 orders and 256 patterns (simply because of how it was designed). Due to some internal limitations, OpenMPT doesn't display the highest two patterns correctly in the order list, but they are playable. If you only get 240 patterns in the XM format, you are using an old version of OpenMPT. If you want more than 256 orders and more than 256 patterns, you will have to use the MPTM format (OpenMPT's own format), which is current designed to handle up to 4000 orders and 4000 patterns.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LDAsh

Thank you!  4000 should be pleeenty even with insanely fast tempos.  Very happy. ;D