MIDI Program Change by pattern effect

Started by RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER), March 18, 2013, 20:32:27

Previous topic - Next topic

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

Yes, I've even tried all possible midi channels...

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

Wow, I think I've solved the problem : it perfectly works...in ".mptm" format !

And I'm still only working in ".it" format ! And it doesn't, in this format...

So, I think I have to change ;-)

By the way, what is the difference between those two formats ?

Saga Musix

That's really weird, as I'm not aware of any differences in Zxx handling between IT and MPTM (and my example with Synth1 also works with IT files). But glad to hear that it works now.
I just downloaded Kontakt 5 Player to check if I could reproduce the problem, but I don't even know how I could make use of program change commands with the provided demo instruments... Can you explain how to set Kontakt up to respond to program change messages? Maybe it will also work in the Player... Then I could check out what went wrong in the IT handling.

To answer your last question, there are not many differences, but MPTM has a few extra features not preset in the (already raped) IT format, such as Parameter Control Events, which are really useful when working with plugins.
If you prefer to work with the MPTM format from now on, there is a (currently) hidden setting (DefaultModType) in the INI file to make OpenMPT create MPTM files by default instead of IT files.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

Thanks for the infos and tips ;-)

I don't think Kontakt needs any setting to respond to program changes : juste create a "bank" instrument, then load several Kontakt instruments at different program numbers (1 to 127) of the created bank, and then it is ready to receive the program changes ;-) (that is how I do)

Saga Musix

That's where the problem starts, I don't know how to create such an instrument. :) I can double-click the rack space to insert some kind of empty instrument, but I don't know how to add any instruments to that or if that's even what I want.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

In "Kontakt" : - File/New instrument bank

Then, you can see the bank...Click on the toolkey on the upper left of the created bank, to expand it...

Then you can see all the program numbers : just drag and drop any Kontakt instrument into any program number...

Done ;-)

Saga Musix

Ah, thanks. Weird, for me this works in both the IT and MPTM format without any hassle! Can you try converting the MPTM file back to IT and see if it still works for you as well? I'm curious now...

Saga Musix

I think I do see a difference between using program changes through instruments and using macros now. All Zxx macros on a row are evaluated after the note data has been sent, meaning that there is no way to apply instrument changes using macros before sending a note on the same row. Some plugins seem to care about that (like Kontakt), some others don't (Synth1). I'm afraid there's not much that can be done about this right now, due to how the code is structured. In essence this means: For Kontakt, program change macros must be put on the row before the note for which they should be applied.

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

Oh yes, I was aware of this (Z macros to be put BEFORE the note) but the problem was still remaining...

Anyway, that is no more a problem : I'll just pass to .mptm ;-)