Quantized playback

Started by Jedinhopy, December 19, 2012, 09:18:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Jedinhopy

As of now if the pattern length is 64 rows. Then it goes smoothly from 0 to 64.
And if i can quantize the playback of the song. The first 10 rows gets played and the second 10 rows gets skipped. And then same again.

And it could play 25 rows and skip 25 rows after it and then play the 25 rows after that and then skip the 25 rows after it and it's quantizing playback marker.

Saga Musix

I don't get this post. As far as I understand it, you want to play the first x rows of a pattern, then skip x rows, and then play the next x rows? Why would you want to do that? And why don't you simply use pattern break and jump commands (Bxx / Cxx) to do this?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Sounds to me like a bug report, but I have to be honest, I'm not making much out of this post either.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Jedinhopy

Quote from: Saga Musix on December 19, 2012, 12:43:53Why don't you simply use pattern break and jump commands (Bxx / Cxx) to do this?
I would use this feature on existing songs. It functions like this:

The black color is played rows.
The white color is skipped rows.

Saga Musix

I still fail to see why you'd want to skip every other measure or so in an existing song.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

sso

and why you couldnt do it with existing commands.

Jedinhopy

Quote from: sso on December 20, 2012, 21:48:40
Because i would have to do it manually for all patterns.
First working with pattern 1 and then doing the same thing again in all patterns at the same rows.

Saga Musix

The question why you would want to do this in the first place remains, though. You can use flood paste to speed pasting up.
It certainly doesn't sound like a feature that has its place in the official build, but it could probably realized using scripting once the scripting engine is implemented.

sso

Quote from: Jedinhopy on December 22, 2012, 20:03:41
Quote from: sso on December 20, 2012, 21:48:40
Because i would have to do it manually for all patterns.
First working with pattern 1 and then doing the same thing again in all patterns at the same rows.

still couldnt be talking about more than 5 minutes of work..

unless you have many songs like that?

you are asking people to incorporate something into openmpt that seems really specialized.

something that would mostly only fit in your situation.

(and the only thing i can think of, is that you made a song, which you were only happy about half of each pattern and you want to jump over every sucky part. and the way you describe it, sounds like five minutes of work you want to skip.(tops 15-30 minutes if its a real long song and you new at this.))

Jedinhopy

Quote from: Saga Musix on December 22, 2012, 20:06:26
It could probably realized using scripting once the scripting engine is implemented.
+1

And another thing if had to work with adding different effects to different rows. I would have to manually write it and then copy and paste it manullay into next channel and so on up to channel 64. And then repeating the same thing on all patterns.