My songs dont work

Started by Exhale, December 18, 2012, 14:48:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Exhale

modplug tracker doesn't work properly on this computer. It runs pure tracked files, but all my old songs that have vsts jump. I don't know what to do. I wonder if anyone here might be able to help me.

I have done all I can on modplugs settings, if you think it might be the computer, I think so too and here are the specs:

Intel celeron(r) 3.02ghz 3.02ghz, 1.99gb of ram

Saga Musix

Have you tried increasing the buffer size to a few hundred ms, just to confirm that the dropouts disappear then?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Exhale

Quote from: Saga Musix on December 18, 2012, 14:53:34
Have you tried increasing the buffer size to a few hundred ms, just to confirm that the dropouts disappear then?
Yeah the buffer length is set to 200 since it jumps even worse at any other setting.

And none of the other settings help/change anything at all.

LPChip

Are you using wave out or direct x sound device? It sounds like you are using wave out.

Also, you should try ASIO. If your soundcard doesn't offer this natively, try Asio4All (google it, free software)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Exhale

I was using the directx one.
Got asio4all and it doesn't do any better then the directx did. (even though I tried tweaking the settings on asio4all's own panel too)

LPChip

If you still experience stuttering after having Asio4all, then it is more likely that somehow your pc cannot use the VSTi's. Have you tried with just one VSTi to eliminate processor power shortage?

Yes, even if you have a faster pc than you used to have, it can happen. Here's why:

Lets say your old pc had 2 cores with 3 ghz of processor power on each core, and now you have 4 cores with 2 ghz processor power on each. You go from 6ghz to 8 ghz, yet OpenMPT will get a worse performance. Reason, OpenMPT is not a multicore application and only some VSTi's do utilize multiple cores. So if the VSTi's don't use them either, you get quicker to a CPU usage of 25% (100 divided by the amount of cores), and thus stuttering occurs.

"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Exhale

Yeah you're right, its probably this computer not being able to handle the vsts  :-\
I tried bypassing the vstis (since there were two on the song I was trying it with) and that didn't help so its probably some of the vsts too since I had been using quite a few for my latest songs. Oh well...

any ideas on what I should upgrade to get it working on this pc?

been speaking to a friend and he says I need a new processor. he suggests a core i3... which of corse means a new motherboard too... and new ram which means new pc... :(

LPChip

Yes. This is pure processor power that's lacking. Memory will do only so much in this case.