Which browser do you prefer?

Mozilla Firefox
13 (81.3%)
Microsoft Internet Explorer
3 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: April 13, 2006, 18:44:02

Really Weird Person

Internet Explorer does not have it built in, but I think that Opera & Firefox do.

Squirrel Havoc

If you want to tout who came first with certain features, then go the way of the Squirrel and use NCSA Mosaic. May not be the most up to date browser, but it came first  :lol:
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "Really Weird Person"Internet Explorer does not have it built in.

It does if you're using XP SP2

Really Weird Person

I would agree that Opera is faster than Firefox. It also shows mini versions of the tabs when you hover over them with your mouse! Firefox didn't do that!

Squirrel Havoc

I just looked into Opera, and it's not free. I don't trust them anymore. Although I use Firefox, to me it's far from perfect. I am using 1.0.7 (with no themes, plugins or extentions), and everytime I try to upgrade, whether its to the next one up all the way to the latest, firefox refuses to startup after that, even in safe mode. Luckily I keep the 1.0.7 installer on the HD so i can instal over the new version everytime I try to get it working and it fails. Any ideas guys? Win2K Pro here....
-

fisk0

Quote from: "Squirrel Havoc"I just looked into Opera, and it's not free. I don't trust them anymore. Although I use Firefox, to me it's far from perfect. I am using 1.0.7 (with no themes, plugins or extentions), and everytime I try to upgrade, whether its to the next one up all the way to the latest, firefox refuses to startup after that, even in safe mode. Luckily I keep the 1.0.7 installer on the HD so i can instal over the new version everytime I try to get it working and it fails. Any ideas guys? Win2K Pro here....

Opera is free? It isn't open source, but it's free.
Until about a year ago it was shareware though.
It's just the versions for some of the non-Windows platforms that still aren't free.

And well, Opera was one of the first browsers too. Not as early as Mosaic, but as far as I know, only one or two years later. And it had tabs from the beginning. :)

Squirrel Havoc

Quote from: "fisk0"Opera is free? It isn't open source, but it's free.
It's just the versions for some of the non-Windows platforms that still aren't free.
Thats weird, the website said its shareware. maybe it's outdated...

And well, Opera was one of the first browsers too. Not as early as Mosaic, but as far as I know, only one or two years later. And it had tabs from the beginning. :)

Man, whats the point of tabs? Whats so hard about having multiple windows open? Tabs take up space, valuable space being taken up by tool bars and status bars already. I always open links in a new window. External ones atleast. But then I have lots of mem, so I can handle it.
-

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "Squirrel Havoc"
Quote from: "fisk0"Opera is free? It isn't open source, but it's free.
Thats weird, the website said its shareware. maybe it's outdated...
Did you visit opera.com or some freaky download site?

Really Weird Person

Personally, I think that the tab feature is pretty nice. I do not really like having a cluttered toolbar.

rewbs

Quote from: "Really Weird Person"It also shows mini versions of the tabs when you hover over them with your mouse! Firefox didn't do that!
Yeah that's quite cool!
As you perhaps guessed, there are extensions for Firefox to do similar things. I particularly like Reveal, which shows you thumbnails of all tabs when you hit F2, as well as thumbnails when you hover over the back and forwards buttons.

Every time I use Opera I'm pleasantly surprised. It runs at least as fast as my extension-free Firefox profile (which I only ever use for debugging extensions), and has way more functionality... but unfortunately not all the functionality I have now grown dependant on through many awesome FF extensions. I'm willing to sacrifice performance for stuff like super up-to-date autoupdating Adblock filters, the Webdeveloper plugin with its live CSS browser/editor and HTML element highlighting etc..., the Document Object Model inspector (essential for learning to do cool javascript tricks), Venkman the Javascript debugger (also essential), dynamic textbox spell checking with Spellbound, StumbleUpon goodness, custom Javascipt injection via Greasemonkey, restoration of all windows and tabs, including form content, when relaunching the browser thanks to Sessionsaver, undo close tabs with Tab Mix Plus, XUL and all its potential, HTTP header intercepting and editing with Tamperdata, general tweakability through about:config and the list goes on and on and keeps growing.

Snu

Quote from: "rewbs"restoration of all windows and tabs, including form content, when relaunching the browser thanks to Sessionsaver, undo close tabs with Tab Mix Plus
i dont know much about all the other stuff you said, but opera has both of those, and also the about:config.
adblocking is the one thing i wish opera did well, tho its recently been added to opera 9, and there are plugins that do it.