pattern bi-directional help...

Started by moltres_rider, November 17, 2012, 16:05:40

Previous topic - Next topic

moltres_rider

I've seen a few modules where Modplug plays a pattern bidirectionally where it goes back up the module once reaching the end (bottom) of the pattern... how would I tell Modplug to do that???

Saga Musix

By using a combination of pattern break and position commands. That jump backwards or forwards in the same pattern. For example like this (only works if pasted on the first row of the first pattern):
ModPlug Tracker  IT
|        B..|........C10
|        B..|........C..
|        B..|........C01
|        B..|........C02
|        B..|........C03
|        B..|........C04
|        B..|........C05
|        B..|........C06
|        B..|........C07
|        B..|........C08
|        B..|........C09
|        B..|........C0A
|        B..|........C0B
|        B..|........C0C
|        B..|........C0D
|        B..|........C0E
|        B..|........C0F
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

moltres_rider

so I cannot use it in ALL partterns???

Saga Musix

You will have to change the Bxx and Cxx effect parameters if you want to use this example in another place. Is it really that hard to understand? B00 has to be adjusted to whatever the current order is, and the Cxx parameters have to be adjusted to which row you want to jump to.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

moltres_rider

I don't get what you are trying to say! that isn't answering my question!

Saga Musix

Yes, it answers your question perfectly: You can make your module to go "backwards" everywhere, but you will have to adjust my example, which will only work on the first pattern and first row, because of the parameters of the Bxx and Cxx commands. If you can't understand that, I'm sorry, but I will not explain this further. It's really not that hard to understand if you put some thought into it.

moltres_rider

so what would I assign to the first pattern, then to the second, then to the third etc?? I am not familiar with th BXX & CXX...

LPChip

May I advice you against doing this?

The entire idea of using these pattern effects is to create a sort of an animation. Tracking music using this is really hard, its manipulating the patterns using effects such as Bxx (jump to order) and Cxx (Jump to row)

Basically what you will be doing is play one row of an entire pattern and then jump to the next order.

I assume you've seen some "ascii art modules" on youtube where you get these fancy animation. If you watch them again, look at the order list. You'll see that its flying by really quickly. This means the song is really limited because you use up your patterns and orders really quick. Its only fun if you're doing a demo competition of some sort, that has some price money or so. Its not just a flag you set to achieve animations.

For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOvoZcxQFeQ
If you look closely, you see that they remain on the 16th row, and in the top left, you see how they go really quickly through the patterns. Thats how this works. This is an XM file, so its not using Bxx and Cxx but other effects.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs