Is there a guide to transcribing pitch bends from a midi file?

Started by Nero1024, November 02, 2012, 07:22:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Nero1024

Like the title says, is there a guide on how to get decent pitch bends from a midi file into IT portamento commands? I know that ModPlug has crap support for MIDI so I'm trying to transcribe them into ModPlug but I'm stumped on how to transcribe the pitch bends. My attempts usually end up terrible and I know importing MIDIs wont work either.

So can anyone help me out?

Here's a link of the original MIDI and my attempted (and unfinished) IT file if that would help:
- http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13160869/MELRIPP1-1.zip ~576.58 KB

Saga Musix

Better alternatives for importing MIDI files are listed in the manual. I'd recommend MID2XM even if it's a bit of a hassle to set it up. Doing the pitchbend conversion by hand would be way to much work, I guess. But then again, I'm not even sure what you mean by "transcribing pitchbends" - what are you currently doing and why does it sound terrible?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Nero1024

What I mean by "transcribing pitchbends" is converting the pitch bends by hand. I'm trying out MIDI2XM and so far the pitch bends are far much better than what can come up with, though it makes me wonder, what is the method that MIDI2XM does for dealing with pitch bends? Does it do some sort of math/algorithm I'm not aware of?

Saga Musix

I cannot tell because it is not open-source. However, I am rather sure that it just interprets pitch bends exactly the way they are supposed to be interpreted and converts them to XM/IT linear pitch slides. The math for that isn't all that complicated, but there are many assumptions to be made - such as the actual pitch wheel depth that is being used. There are semi-standardized RPN commands that specifiy the pitch wheel depth, but a MIDI device that was used to create a certain MIDI file could just as well use a completely different command for setting the pitch wheel depth.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.