High pitched background noise when exporting

Started by pro1137, October 15, 2012, 22:33:12

Previous topic - Next topic

pro1137

For 3 of the 4 songs I've made in openMPT, they always seem to have a high pitched background noise after exporting either throughout the entire song, or when an instrument is played. This is really getting on my nerves, and it is discouraging me from continuing to use this software. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Here's a link to one of my songs where you can clearly hear the noise I am speaking of.
http://soundcloud.com/probetski/violence-320kbps-download-in

I really need a solution for this.. It doesn't happen when I listen to it in OpenMPT, iTunes, Windows Media Player, etc, but it does occur whenever I upload to Soundcloud and load the file into Audacity.

Saga Musix

I don't notice any noise of which I could be sure that it isn't part of the song in that example.  Be aware, though, that Soundcloud uses 128kbit previews, they are naturally of low fidelity, especially in the treble.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

psishock

there isnt any "background noise" in that song. Neither the 128kbit downmix would make that effect.

Are you sure you don't have any "enhancing" effect, EQ or some sort of gainers enabled on your player/soundcard driver? Now those can cause weird distortions. Check the output samplerate also.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Saga Musix

Quote from: psishock on October 16, 2012, 06:02:29
Check the output samplerate also.
That's a good suggestion, cheap 44.1 <-> 48KHz sample rate converters. Preferrably, all audio material should of course have the same sample rate as the output rate of your device.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Rakib

Quote from: pro1137 on October 15, 2012, 22:33:12
Here's a link to one of my songs where you can clearly hear the noise I am speaking of.
Not hearing it. Maybe Im to old?
^^

LPChip

Can you render us some silence that has this background noise too?

For example, make an empty pattern, put note-offs and export that, so you have a bit of music and then silence. If the problem is only happening when using VSTi's, then the next step is to see which VSTi is causing it by eliminating their sound one by one.

For all we know, this is somekind of lo-fi preset or glitch in a VSTi.

If it also happens in a silent piece, and you can share that with us, we can look for the noise. If we cannot find it then, then you have something on your soundcard/pc that causes the noise, rather than the actual music.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs