How do I get more than 8 patterns?

Started by I-S3-O, September 05, 2012, 20:08:49

Previous topic - Next topic

I-S3-O

I'm currently working on a song in OpenMPT, and for some reason I can only have 7 patterns before it starts over. Why is that?

Here's a picture of the patterns I CAN have:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It won't continue to play the one with the red X over it (7). It starts over after 6. What am I doing wrong?

Saga Musix

Maybe you have a pattern jump command (Bxx) at the end of pattern 6? Hard to tell without having a look at the actual module, since OpenMPT certainly doesn't limit you to 8 patterns.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

I-S3-O

It's okay. Silly me just figured it out. I forgot to insert another pattern. I thought you could just paste them in, and they would connect automatically. Oh well, live and learn.

Saga Musix

Good that you could find out why it didn't work. I think it might actually be a nice idea to grey out pattern numbers in the order list which don't exist, so that in your case, pattern 7 should be displayed in grey instead of black. I'll think about implementing that for the next version...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Quote from: Saga Musix on September 05, 2012, 20:44:26
Good that you could find out why it didn't work. I think it might actually be a nice idea to grey out pattern numbers in the order list which don't exist, so that in your case, pattern 7 should be displayed in grey instead of black. I'll think about implementing that for the next version...
Or prevent that from being entered in the first place. But yeah, sounds like a great feature.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Quote from: LPChip on September 06, 2012, 08:39:30
Or prevent that from being entered in the first place. But yeah, sounds like a great feature.
That is tried to be done when working with pattern numbers >= 10 (try to enter 11 if you have 10 patterns in total, it won't work). But think of this situation:
Pattern 36 exists, pattern 3 and 6 don't. If if the entry system would prevent me from entering 3 and 6 (because those two patterns don't exist), how am I supposed to enter 36? Ever thought of that?

LPChip

Quote from: Saga Musix on September 06, 2012, 11:56:29
That is tried to be done when working with pattern numbers >= 10 (try to enter 11 if you have 10 patterns in total, it won't work). But think of this situation:
Pattern 36 exists, pattern 3 and 6 don't. If if the entry system would prevent me from entering 3 and 6 (because those two patterns don't exist), how am I supposed to enter 36? Ever thought of that?
What if you check that if you enter 8 while there are only 4 patterns, it automatically changes it to 4?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

That would mean that the program would do something different than the user has told it to do, which is not a good idea really. And since non-existing pattern numbers are greyed out anyway now, I consider this issue to be reolved well enough.

LPChip

Quote from: Saga Musix on September 06, 2012, 20:27:34
That would mean that the program would do something different than the user has told it to do, which is not a good idea really. And since non-existing pattern numbers are greyed out anyway now, I consider this issue to be reolved well enough.

sure. I was just thinking out loud. :)

moltres_rider

Quote from: Saga Musix on September 06, 2012, 11:56:29

allow you to enter 3 & 6, but if you don't enter them together (36) it is automatically removed... what about that???

Saga Musix

Quote from: moltres_rider on September 07, 2012, 13:36:18
allow you to enter 3 & 6, but if you don't enter them together (36) it is automatically removed... what about that???
Automatically removing stuff after the user has entered it is even a worse idea.

Harbinger

Idea: when you enter a pattern index which doesn't exist, MPT asks if you wish to automatically create it with that index?

Saga Musix

That might sound like a good idea until you actually input a wrong number by accident and get angry because just another modal confirmation dialog popped up and got into your way while you just quickly wanted to enter a number.