Main Menu

Latency

Started by Pizearke, August 24, 2012, 21:14:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Pizearke

I have a kick drum with a lot of processing that noticeably comes in late. What methods can I use to decrease latency? Are there any mechanisms in OpenMPT that can compensate for it?

Saga Musix

OpenMPT doesn't have built-in plugin delay compensation. You could simply render the kick drum to a sample instead, or use plugins that don't introduce a delay (if the algorithm you want to apply allows for that).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Pizearke

Quote from: Saga Musix on August 24, 2012, 21:19:14
OpenMPT doesn't have built-in plugin delay compensation. You could simply render the kick drum to a sample instead, or use plugins that don't introduce a delay (if the algorithm you want to apply allows for that).

I've thought about that, but it's an instrument with no sustain, I don't want decay time to vary.

What if there was a vst that provided a slight delay in FX01 with master input, and set FX00 (The vst that causes the latency) to output to FX02, also set to master? I'm looking for such a VST right now because I'm too lazy to try making one in synthedit or something, but once I get my hands on something like that, I'm going to try that.

Saga Musix

In theory that could work, yes. I'm not aware of such a plugin, but it should be easy enough to build if there isn't one already.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

You can use a reverb plugin. Set the dry volume to 0%, wet volume to 100%, set the time as short as possible, and set the early reflection with the delay you want.

It might even be possible to do this with an echo plugin.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Early reflections are not exactly the original sound, though. An Echo plugin would also not guarantee that the echo sound is identical. Also, most of the time the delay properties are way too coarse for something like this; A plugin with a delay that could be entered in samples (not ms) would be the best.