Spread pattern to one instrument/sample per row?

Started by ruinatokyo, August 08, 2012, 06:29:05

Previous topic - Next topic

ruinatokyo

Hi everyone,
Maybe I'm a rarity, but I was a near lifelong octamed user, from 1990 on amiga to 2011 on windows, when I found the most glorious OpenMPT. Anyway, I'm converting a lot of older MEDs, and samples cut each other off a lot in the original files because of the track limitations which don't exist anymore.

So, is it possible to easily spread a row that contains a bunch of different instruments/samples such that each instrument/sample has its own row?

I would like this for many reasons - the ability to see the movement of just one instrument easily, to hear one instrument throughout the piece by soloing its row, per-instrument effects, row-based scripting, etc.

Thanks!

LPChip

Its not easy to do this, but OpenMPT (especially with the IT and MPTM format), you can use instruments and their NNA (new note action) to make a note continue even while a new note arrises in the pattern.

Also, a row is a horizontal line. You mean Column (or channel) don't you?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

ruinatokyo

Oops!! Yes, column/channel. sorry about that.

NNA is cool, but I also want them on separate columns. Maybe this is turning into a feature request?

As just two examples, with all "flute" notes in just one column, I can get a printout of the sheet music for the flute easily.

Or, I want to put an effect on the "flute" notes, and so I have a script to apply a set of fx values PCsxxx to a column, but the flute notes are all over every column, so I can't do it without tedious copy/paste.

Saga Musix

Currently that is indeed not possible, and I think it would be something that could be greatly automated using scripting capabilities, but Lua's C API is kind of horrible (IMO) and so I don't know if there will be scripting capabilities anytime soon. Not sure if it would make much sense as a built-in feature, because then again, everyone would probably want it to work differently to fulfil their needs.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

If you are a bit handy in coding yourself, you could write a script that works with the clipboard data.

When you select all notes in a pattern, then paste it in notepad, you get a pretty readable format. You can easily append using the same format and move notes that way.

Let it create an output and you can copy that data back into the pattern to do it that way. Of course that means you still have to go through each pattern, but thats one way to do it.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

ruinatokyo

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I'll give the whole-pattern copy thing a try, thanks for the suggestion.

Python time!

Saga Musix

Yeah, shouldn't be too difficult doing something like that with Python. :) After all the clipboard forward is very straight-forward to parse.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Indeed. I once made a little script in php that'd parse the pattern and apply an effect to it. It was years ago, and I've lost that script but it was pretty easy to make.