.41 Instrument editors volume envelop->diff. speed

Started by LPChip, April 09, 2006, 15:12:40

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

If i make a nice volume envelop, and then play in the pattern editor, it has a complete different speed.

My settings (that are unusual) are as follows:

Song speed: 3
Song Tempo: 45

In the instrument tab, it plays really fast. I think 4 times as fast as in the pattern editor. Also the grid is wrong.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

speed-goddamn-focus

Actually the tempo seems to be around 150 bpm always when not playing. If you play in the instrument editor while the song is playing the tempo is the same.

rewbs

The time unit for envelopes is ticks, so the effective envelope speed will be dependant on the tick rate (or tick duration), which in classic tempo mode is defined by Txx.

My guess is that if you play an instrument in the instrument tab while the pattern is already playing, it will sound the same as when played from the pattern editor, because the Txx playback speed will already have been set to the correct value. But when playback is initiated from the instrument tab, some other Txx value is picked up.

I'm looking into what Txx value is used when playback is initiated from the instrument tab.

rewbs

Speed-goddamn-focus beat me to the point in a succinct and accurate manner.

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "rewbs"Speed-goddamn-focus beat me to the point in a succinct and accurate manner.
My life is an abstract.

rewbs

LPChip

I'll check it out tonight.

I'd like to point out that the same thing happens if I put the pattern editor to jam mode and play there. Also the same 150 BPM thing.

Nevertheless, the song plays fine in other players and when normally playing.

I had to adjust the envelope while the song was playing to get it right.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

rewbs

Quote from: "LPChip"I'd like to point out that the same thing happens if I put the pattern editor to jam mode and play there. Also the same 150 BPM thing.

What do you mean by "jam mode"?

LPChip

Quote from: "rewbs"
Quote from: "LPChip"I'd like to point out that the same thing happens if I put the pattern editor to jam mode and play there. Also the same 150 BPM thing.

What do you mean by "jam mode"?

If you press the record button (CTRL-Space), you cannot enter notes, but they are being played. (Bytheway, I now believe that entering notes also plays them wrong:P)

rewbs

Yes, in any situation in which the instrument was played but the song was stopped, we would have used the wrong tick duration, therefore screwing up envelopes.

LPChip

Confirmed to be fixed in any situation I could think of. Thanks Rewbs!!! :)