vst timing? (advice desired)

Started by SuperSega, June 13, 2012, 14:37:58

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperSega

Hi!
    I have a teensy issue with certain vst's that behave more dependently on when you press play, since there is clearly some signal processing going on in the background i know little about. I can just tell it has something to do with the way some might start at a different preset of values depending on when you stopped them in the middle of processing and continued somewhere else or restarted at the same point but with offset values.

I'm talking about effects like flanger and lfo's and what not. For example one time i was processing an instrument with a filter lfo plugin, so it was doing the wah wah thing. Let's say i had the cursor at the starting row for the melody, and hit play and the melody started with a low cutoff and proceeded high low high low etc...

but then I pressed play again at the same point after interupting and the timing was different like it started with high cutoff
then proceeded low high low high etc..

My desire is to find a way to at least simulate for these kinds of effects that depend more on timing control over what state things start iin.

Same deal with the flanger too, it's not as big of a deal there but I notice you could hit play and the sound will start in a different state due to picking up from where one leaves off.

Like is there a way to make sure things are reset into a particular state so you know how things will sound for sure when you export?

I hope this isn't too much of a headache to answer, sorry and thanks again!

EDIT:

y'know what just to make it easier, here are two samples that illustrate my problem
http://soundcloud.com/lmar-1/test
http://soundcloud.com/lmar-1/test2

Saga Musix

Some plugins use the time information provided by the host to sync their LFOs, some just have an ongoing LFO that is never reset. It is totally up to the plugin to treat their LFOs the one way or the other and you can do absolutely nothing about how VST plugins do their internal stuff. The only solution would be to use another plugin, which makes use of the host's time information.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

SuperSega

ok well at least I know there is something out there... I hope.
thanks for the fast reply!

Saga Musix

Generally you'll want plugins with "Tempo Sync", so you may want to include that in your searches. Off the top of my head, I know that the Classic Series plugins have tempo sync (so look out for the Classic Flanger plugin).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.