difference between "Note Off" "Note Cut" & "Note Fade"

Started by moltres_rider, June 05, 2012, 03:21:39

Previous topic - Next topic

moltres_rider

what are the differences between the three? I haven't seen any difference really when swapping one for the other...

Saga Musix

Note Cut: Cuts the note.
Note Off: Release the instrument envelope's sustain loop and the sample's sustain loop.
Note Fade: Fades the note, based on the instrument's "Fade out" value.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

moltres_rider

Quote from: Jojo on June 05, 2012, 08:55:28
Note Cut: Cuts the note.
Note Off: Release the instrument envelope's sustain loop and the sample's sustain loop.
Note Fade: Fades the note, based on the instrument's "Fade out" value.

can you describe what you mean by:

Quote from: Jojo on June 05, 2012, 08:55:28
Release the instrument envelope's sustain loop and the sample's sustain loop.

Saga Musix

If your sample or instrument envelopes have sustain loops, they are repeated as long as no Note Off event has accoured. After a Note Off event, the sustain loops are no longer executed and the "normal" loops are looped instead (if there are any), or the sample / envelope is played until its end is reached.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

moltres_rider

Quote from: Jojo on June 05, 2012, 13:15:20
If your sample or instrument envelopes have sustain loops, they are repeated as long as no Note Off event has accoured. After a Note Off event, the sustain loops are no longer executed and the "normal" loops are looped instead (if there are any), or the sample / envelope is played until its end is reached.

I still don't get it... are you saying if a sample has the length of 20,000 and 500 thru 15,000 is the looped section, once a note off is hit, the last 5,000 (15,001 thru 20,000) is played then stopped at the end of the sample???

Pizearke

Yeah, unless your envelope causes it to release before it can get to the end of the sample.

psishock

i feel old now. :D

Nostalgic times, when all this was mystical and new to discover, alone in the poorly illuminated bedroom, while messing around with a new cool music composing PC program, that some people called "tracker", without any presence of the internet.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Saga Musix

Quote from: moltres_rider on June 06, 2012, 02:29:12
I still don't get it... are you saying if a sample has the length of 20,000 and 500 thru 15,000 is the looped section, once a note off is hit, the last 5,000 (15,001 thru 20,000) is played then stopped at the end of the sample???
If you are using a sustain loop, yes. That's the whole point of sustain loops.

Harbinger

I'm wondering if our new user has consulted the help manuals (either the OHM PDF or the Wiki pages) and still was left confused (in which case we need to work on some clearer ways of explaining). If our colleague has NOT read any of the help guides, please do, and let us know if that clears it up for you. We are always interested in how new users are understanding the help we have supplied.

Saga Musix