OpenMPT 1.20 releases

Started by Saga Musix, May 02, 2012, 13:02:31

Previous topic - Next topic

.^o

i can't test with the same modules because i saved them yesterday but it's ok with 1.6 with a large similar module.

thx Jojo.

Saga Musix

The size doesn't matter. The problem depends entirely for which samples an undo point has already been created.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

BooT-SectoR-ViruZ

sry for not reading the entire thread to check if it has already been pointed out, but i'm not too happy that the modern tempo mode isn't available for standard .it files anymore.....
10 years on ModPlug... f#cking hell...

Soundcloud for B-S-V | Soundcloud for DX4-100 | Bandcamp for B-S-V

Saga Musix

Just use the MPTM format. The only difference between the MPTM and IT format is that the MPTM format has more features. There are no other differences or drawbacks. There is a hidden setting to set up a different default module format than IT, if you are concerned about your workflow.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Saga Musix

Hi all,
OpenMPT 1.20 has been updated with some new features and bugfixes. I've made this release available immediately, i.e. this is not a beta testing phase. Have fun with the new version!

Download: http://openmpt.org/openmpt-1-20-02-00-released
Changelog: http://openmpt.org/release_notes/History.txt

Harbinger

Love this build and the application is really coming along now that the devs have handled a lot of the major persisent bugs. I do have a few questions and comments:

Quote [New] <js> Middle-clicking or Ctrl-right-clicking a channel header shows the Quick Channel Settings dialog, where channel name, volume and panning settings can be quickly set up.

I LOVE this new feature!! I would still love to see a Mass Channel Attributes dialog as i put forth in a
FR many moons ago, but this is definitely a nice addition until then. Among the many reasons for the Mass Channel request was so i can set up all my channels without any mouse clicks, just use keys to navigate between fields and controls to set up everything. This is one step closer to that realization, but the problem here is that normal keypresses (outside of a text field) still activate ModPlug even when the Quick Settings window is open. For example, i TABbed over to the Next/Previous arrows (actually TABbed back -- not very intuitive), and pressed SPACE to use the control. Unfortunately, i have SPACE set up for the Play/Pause function in the Patterns tab, so pressing space played the track. So in order to use this feature with only keys, i have to reconfigure my keys. Not cool...
But in a general sense i do like it and intend to use it instead of the Channel tabs on the General page.

Quote [Mod] <js> Interpolation and transpose context menu items have been moved to sub menus.

Now that you've moved the Transpose amounts to a more efficient submenu (good idea), can you now reconsider implementing a long-time
FR to include Transposition by sevenths and possibly fourths? This would save us keypresses.

Quote [Imp] <js> Improved AIFF support (added support for loop points, up to 32-Bit sample resolution, AIFF-C files and little-endian sample data).

Thanks for this. As you may remember, Macintosh was my primary computer before 2008 (this program motivated me to switch to a Windows machine), and so i still have a lot of AIFFs from then (AIFF was the usual sound file format for Mac Classics). Now i can safely bring in those files.
Still have a persistent problem: AIFFs still cannot be previewed from the Folder Tree when double-clicking them, which has always been SOP. Should i submit a FR to get that "fixed" at some time in the future?

Quote [Imp] <js> If zooming the current selection is impossible, the zoom context menu item is greyed out.

Don't know what you're talking about. I selected one sample as well as all the samples in a typical waveform, right-clicked in a selection of the sound data, and selected "Zoom". The first time it adjusted the zoom to the right level to show the whole selection. Right-clicking again and selecting "Zoom" did not change anything and was not grayed out.

Quote [Fix] <js> The Korg Wavestation GUI did not work until song was played for the first time since OpenMPT 1.20. This may also fix the GUI of older versions of the Korg M1 plugin.

After extensive testing, i see you have completely fixed this. This fix gets my biggest thanks, as i do a lot of work with the M1 (it was after all my first synth). The fix also applies to the other VSTs in the Legacy bundle, including, as in my case, the original, unpatched package, version 1.0.0, which included the WaveStation VSTi and the MDE-X VST FX). I'm so glad i don't have to revert to an older build of MPT. Thanks again...

IT::Compatible Playback Mode
[Fix] <js> Combinations of Qxy (retrigger) with a pattern delay at Speed y should now work as intended.

XM
[Fix] <js> Set Finetune (E5x) should now work as in Fasttracker 2.

XM::Compatible Playback Mode
[Fix] <js> Tremor (Txy) behaves more like in Fasttracker 2 now.

MOD
[Fix] <js> Set Finetune (E5x) should now behave more like in ProTracker.

Many times you mentioned that fixed functions now work as the original tracker intended them to. Only problem is, how do we know what they were "supposed" to do? Can you clarify what they were doing and what they do now, in these particular cases?

QuoteXM
[Fix] <js> Volume column command gxx did not have memory (tx coda). Combinations of gxx and Gxx in the same pattern cell work correctly now.

So for XM tracks, do these apply fully when used at the same time? Does one get processed first or are their values added? Does the fact that Volume Column commands use decimal and Channel FX commands use hex have any bearing on the portamento processing?

QuoteIT::Compatible Playback Mode
[Fix] <js> Combinations of SDx with x greater than the current spend and tick delay commands didn't work.

For IT-compat tracks, does this mean that, for example, calling SD8 for a row that has 4 ticks to it will delay the note for two full rows?

Quote [New] <js> Keyboard Settings: Shortcuts can now also be found by pressing the sought-after key combination. Click search field to reset filter.

Now we're talking! How many of us have always been afraid to make any changes to our shortcuts for fear of entering a key combo that's already used for something else? (Old combos were overwritten and you'd have to go back to fix it.) Now we can make a quick check to see if a key combo is already assigned. The only thing better would be a "Print" button to print out a paper copy of our keys setup or a TXT file of it.

Overall, an excellent build worth its separate release. Keep up the good work! 8)

Saga Musix

Quoteactually TABbed back -- not very intuitive
I forgot to set up the correct tab order for this dialog - will be fixed in the next release. Also the shortcut issues should be resolved at some point.

QuoteNow that you've moved the Transpose amounts to a more efficient submenu (good idea), can you now reconsider implementing a long-time FR to include Transposition by sevenths and possibly fourths? This would save us keypresses.
See my response here: http://bugs.openmpt.org/view.php?id=269

QuoteStill have a persistent problem: AIFFs still cannot be previewed from the Folder Tree when double-clicking them, which has always been SOP. Should i submit a FR to get that "fixed" at some time in the future?
This seems to happen with only a few types of AIFF files, I'll look into that shortly.

QuoteDon't know what you're talking about. I selected one sample as well as all the samples in a typical waveform, right-clicked in a selection of the sound data, and selected "Zoom". The first time it adjusted the zoom to the right level to show the whole selection. Right-clicking again and selecting "Zoom" did not change anything and was not grayed out.
This fix only applies to overly long sample selections which would previously not have adjusted the zoom at all. This fix does not apply when zooming into the same selection twice as in your example.

QuoteAfter extensive testing, i see you have completely fixed this. This fix gets my biggest thanks, as i do a lot of work with the M1 (it was after all my first synth). The fix also applies to the other VSTs in the Legacy bundle, including, as in my case, the original, unpatched package, version 1.0.0, which included the WaveStation VSTi and the MDE-X VST FX). I'm so glad i don't have to revert to an older build of MPT. Thanks again...
Good to hear that it's working. This was actually not a bug in OpenMPT but an oversight by the Korg programmers, which was apparently fixed in the latest versions of the M1 plugin, but not the Wavestation plugin. I have sent an email to Korg, but I have not received an answer as of yet...

QuoteMany times you mentioned that fixed functions now work as the original tracker intended them to. Only problem is, how do we know what they were "supposed" to do? Can you clarify what they were doing and what they do now, in these particular cases?
Qxy fix: The note would not have been retriggered if for example the current speed is 6, and there is a Q06 command and a pattern delay on the same row. Now the note is retriggered as one would expect it to do.
E5x fix: The correct finetune values were already displayed in the note properties dialog, but other finetune values were applied. E5x is now only applied when found next to a note.
Txy fix: The most notable difference is that the tremor on/off state is preserved even after the effect has been applied. So if the volume is turned of on the last tick of a row and there is no tremor command on the next row, the next row will remain silent.
E5x fix: Contrary to the XM E5x fix, this one is really just a very small difference that you won't notice under normal circumstances and I'm not even sure how to explain in words (been a while since I fixed this).

QuoteSo for XM tracks, do these apply fully when used at the same time? Does one get processed first or are their values added? Does the fact that Volume Column commands use decimal and Channel FX commands use hex have any bearing on the portamento processing?
From the manual: "Combining the effect [gxx] with 3xx will double the effect parameter (e.g. g01 would act like g02) and ignores the 3xx command."

QuoteFor IT-compat tracks, does this mean that, for example, calling SD8 for a row that has 4 ticks to it will delay the note for two full rows?
No, SDx never affects upcoming rows. As an example, SD5 didn't do anything at speed 5, even if there was a fine pattern delay on the same row (which would have increased the row's length by a few ticks).

Pizearke

Quote from: Harbinger on July 13, 2012, 13:47:24
FR

I was just thinking about something like this today. I think it's a great concept.

.^o

could it be possible to sync at tempo all instruments in only one time ?

Saga Musix

This is not the place for feature requests or general questions.

Saga Musix

Quote from: Harbinger on May 06, 2012, 16:46:24
UPDATE: Never mind, i found it. Now my question is, is only MIDI data being transmitted for any instrument set to Mapped (any associated samples are ignored/not played)? I'm guessing that the channel in the pattern editor where the instruiment is called defines which MIDI channel to send; "modulo 16" means the PE channels are divided into groups of 16, so that a MIDI-Mapped instrument whose note is played in PE channel 16 will transmit on MIDI Ch. 16, and for PE channel 17, it's MIDI Ch. 1, and so on? Can you fill us in on how we can best use this feature, and what you initially intended with it? Is it designed mostly for calling external MIDI hardware?

Now I can finally show you a good example of how this feature can be used: http://coda.s3m.us/2012/08/06/creation-of-the-ilisa-demo-soundtrack/

Harbinger

Wow, OpenMPT is finding its way "inside the shop". I hope to see more of this with computer (sound) engineers... 8)

Saga Musix

Well, coda has been using ModPlug Tracker / OpenMPT for a long time. He's not new to this at all, he's even contributed loads of example modules that are shipped with the tracker! And of course it has been used for many demoscene productions like this one in the past already.

Saga Musix

Since I haven't done much on the OpenMPT code lately, I'd like to put out the changes made since the last version pretty soon, maybe this weekend.
As always, you may have a look at the current version, test it for stability, regressions, etc.
So far I haven't found any new bugs, but of course that doesn't say anything. :D

Download: http://openmpt.org/openmpt-1-20-03-00-released
Changelog: http://openmpt.org/release_notes/History.txt

Rakib

^^