Linux ModPlug Tracker clone beta - gurutracker

Started by battletoad, April 11, 2012, 19:47:08

Previous topic - Next topic

battletoad

Hey, I would like to start with saying hi to everyone as I'm new to your forums, but have been using ModPlug Tracker on and off since like '98 or '99 when I first got access to the internet.  I don't want to spam your forum with other projects, but not knowing too many people that would be interested, Saga_Musix on IRC told me to go ahead and post here :)

Over the past couple weeks I have been  piecing together a Linux-based, multiuser tracker to scratch a coding itch, and to learn about sound.  This program is no where near the level of OpenMPT, but it does seem to work pretty well so far.  You interface with the program using a web browser, and you can even have multiple computers on multiple platforms interfacing with it at the same time.

At this point, you can load .wav samples, generate wave forms, and create oscillators and mixers to generate noise on the fly.  It's extremely beta, but if anyone is interested in trying it out, tracking on Linux in general, or wanting to give suggestions and comments, feel free to check it out at http://www.gurudigitalsolutions.com/gurutracker.

Thanks to anyone that has any criticism, positive or negative, and also thanks to anyone that has helped ModPlug Tracker/OpenMPT along the way for the intense memories of hours upon hours of playing with awesome software. :)

Rakib

Will check it out, and nice with all the collaboration possibilities. Especially now that bitwig and Ohm Studio now coming with similar online capabilities. And it would be nice if you could write a guide to how to compile it in linux/windows/mac, or even add a installer, that would lower the barrier for trying the software.
^^

battletoad

Thanks for responding, and I have definitely listened to your ideas.  I've pretty much spent the past day tidying up the code base, and came up with an installer to help make this a little more user friendly.

The latest source code is available, as is an executable archive that will extract and install itself the first time you run it.  Simply download and run.  You will most likely need admin rights for Linux machines as it installs in /usr/share and creates a link in /usr/bin.  After it's installed, just make a shortcut to it or type 'gurutracker' into a terminal.

The installer package is an exe file, but it is indeed meant for Linux.  It will run in Windows (briefly tested in a Windows 7 virtual machine), although the installation programming is not complete for Windows machines, so I don't think it will run at this point in time.  If anyone else shows interest, I'll continue to develop that.

Rakib

Must say it looks nicer and nicer. Very good job here, for people who doesnt use IRC, how about a forum?
^^

battletoad

Sorry for the late reply, but my laptop seems to have died, so I spent a while formatting a desktop, installing software, and getting my data back off the laptop hard drive.

I added a forum so I won't need to abuse this one, and I have also created a GitHub repository for the code.  I have the next few days off, so I might be getting to some action developing this.

I'll continue to respond to people in this thread, but further updates and stuff will be posted in my forum.  Thanks again to everyone :)