Weird Keyboards

Started by Really Weird Person, April 05, 2006, 05:02:55

Previous topic - Next topic

qbg

Quote from: "Really Weird Person"I wonder where the symbol above # choices came from. Do you know that? By symbols I mean the following items.

1 = ! 2 = @ 3 = # 4 = $ 5 = % 6 = ^ 7 = & 8 = * 9 = ( 0 = )
1337 sP34k  8)
I hope to gain some ModPlug Tracker skills someday...

LPChip

Quote from: "qbg"
Quote from: "Really Weird Person"I wonder where the symbol above # choices came from. Do you know that? By symbols I mean the following items.

1 = ! 2 = @ 3 = # 4 = $ 5 = % 6 = ^ 7 = & 8 = * 9 = ( 0 = )
1337 sP34k  8)

No :P They've been chosen because they're most requently used. Since we work with the Euro they programmed the euro sign on the 5 key too. But since its full, you need to use alt gr 5 or ctrl+alt+5 to get ? (ofcource depending on your keyboard settings.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Waxhead

Quote from: "LPChip"They've been chosen because they're most requently used.

Most frequent? hmmm ok perhaps can someone please tell me what this symbol " ? " is used for!? and while we are at it the SysRq key what's the point of that? why isn't that cool key with the cool name used for something cool?! :) heheh hell why not make modplug use the least used keyboard light for something cool like a metronome (ScrollLock)  ;D

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "Waxhead"
Quote from: "LPChip"They've been chosen because they're most requently used.

Most frequent? hmmm ok perhaps can someone please tell me what this symbol " ? " is used for!? and while we are at it the SysRq key what's the point of that? why isn't that cool key with the cool name used for something cool?! :) heheh hell why not make modplug use the least used keyboard light for something cool like a metronome (ScrollLock)  ;D

? is a general symbol for currency I think...

What I don't understand is why keys like scroll lock and break are still present... And why are there no copy/paste keys?

qbg

The only use of SysRq that I know of is that you use <a few keys>+SysRq in Linux when something goes very wrong...
I hope to gain some ModPlug Tracker skills someday...

Really Weird Person

Actually, if I am not mistaken the Euro sign is Control Alt E. As for the frequecy of the symbols' use. I am not totally sure either way on that. I do know that I use the ampersand (shift + 7 = ampersand (&).) Another weird thing is that, on label maker keyboards, the circumflex accent (^ shift + 6) is not even there (also on typewriters). It is the cent sign (the c with a slash through it (or vertical line).

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "Really Weird Person"Actually, if I am not mistaken the Euro sign is Control Alt E.
On my keyboard it's just Alt+E or Alt+5. Like this: € or €. Alt+M gives ?.

fisk0

Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"
Quote from: "Really Weird Person"Actually, if I am not mistaken the Euro sign is Control Alt E.
On my keyboard it's just Alt+E or Alt+5. Like this: ? or ?. Alt+M gives ?.

You mean AltGr+E, don't you?
AltGr is the same as Ctrl+Alt.

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "fisk0"
Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"
On my keyboard it's just Alt+E or Alt+5. Like this: € or €. Alt+M gives ?.

You mean AltGr+E, don't you?
AltGr is the same as Ctrl+Alt.

Quite right! Alt+E gives me the edit menu of Opera ;)

Waxhead

Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"What I don't understand is why keys like scroll lock and break are still present... And why are there no copy/paste keys?

Scroll Lock is one of the few keys I never use but pause/break is a very useful key in fact (especially when used with Ctrl).

but special cut, copy and paste keys would have been nice, I currently use my mouse for that since it have 5 buttons and the only real use I found for the two last ones was copy and paste :)

fisk0

Quote from: "Waxhead"
Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"What I don't understand is why keys like scroll lock and break are still present... And why are there no copy/paste keys?

Scroll Lock is one of the few keys I never use but pause/break is a very useful key in fact (especially when used with Ctrl).

but special cut, copy and paste keys would have been nice, I currently use my mouse for that since it have 5 buttons and the only real use I found for the two last ones was copy and paste :)

Scroll Lock is great if you have an computer switch (which you can use to connect several computers to one set of keyboard, mouse and monitor).
The Pause/Break key is of use if you want to read any of the information that  is shown when the computer starts.

By the way, SHIFT-DELETE=cut and SHIFT-INSERT=paste.
But I guess Ctrl+C,X,V is easier :)

LPChip

Quote from: "fisk0"
By the way, SHIFT-DELETE=cut and SHIFT-INSERT=paste.
But I guess Ctrl+C,X,V is easier :)

Don't forget CTRL-INSERT = Copy :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Really Weird Person

If I am not mistaken, Shift Delete = permiinant deleting of an item (meaning it is not sent to the recycle bin, it is just deleted (you cannot undo those, unfortuneately). Control X = cut, Control C = copy, & Control V = paste. What does Control Pause/Break do? What programs do you use it in? Where would you find a 5-button mouse? :?  What kind of buttons does it have? :?  Let's see here...

It probably has right & left click buttons, a vertical wheel, a horizontal wheel, & a programmable button. :?

LPChip

Quote from: "Really Weird Person"If I am not mistaken, Shift Delete = permiinant deleting of an item (meaning it is not sent to the recycle bin, it is just deleted (you cannot undo those, unfortuneately).
Yeah. Its basically this: each shortcut key, works differently on different environments. Delete in the explorer deletes to recyclebin, shift-delete deletes permanently.

Quote from: "Really Weird Person"What does Control Pause/Break do? What programs do you use it in?
Control-Break usually interrupts programmed scripts, like batch files, or debug mode in program languages such as Visual Basic. Its often possible to use CTRL-Break in a dos environment. (also possible to use Ctrl-C in a dos environment)

Quote from: "Really Weird Person"Where would you find a 5-button mouse? :?  What kind of buttons does it have? :?  Let's see here...
In the store? :P My mouse has 8 buttons :)

Quote from: "Really Weird Person"
It probably has right & left click buttons, a vertical wheel, a horizontal wheel, & a programmable button. :?

1. Left mouse
2. Right mouse
3. Scrollwheel and middle mouse
4. navigate next (browser) accessed with thumb
5. navigate back (browser) accessed with thumb
6. quick scroll up (above scrollwheel)
7. quick scroll down (below scroll wheel)
8. application switch (below button 7)

Its a Logitech MX518.

Really Weird Person

What do you mean by an application switch button? Do you mean it is an Alt Tab without using Alt Tab?