OpenMPT kills other programs' sound.

Started by Lump_Kid, March 16, 2012, 06:56:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Lump_Kid

While running OpenMPT all other programs such like music player and browser has been muted.
There's no parameter for OpenMPT for Windows' volume mixer in which running programs' individual volume setting is appear.

I want OpenMPT not mute other programs. How can I do?

LPChip

Are you using ASIO with both OpenMPT and your music player?

With ASIO you can only have one program use the sound device, thus others will be muted. If you aren't using ASIO, then your soundcard has the same limitation.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

That is generally not true about ASIO, but the very common ASIO4All driver does indeed access the soundcard in exclusive mode, so no other application can play sound on it. That is not a limitation of OpenMPT but of ASIO4All.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Quote from: Jojo on March 16, 2012, 13:28:57
That is generally not true about ASIO, but the very common ASIO4All driver does indeed access the soundcard in exclusive mode, so no other application can play sound on it. That is not a limitation of OpenMPT but of ASIO4All.

My creative soundcard has the same problem. If I use ASIO in OpenMPT, any other music app using ASIO will not work anymore. When I looked into it by googling, I found many others saying its a limitation of ASIO. But that doesn't mean its the truth, thats true...
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

That is generally not the case. So far I've only had audio devices which allow for parallel ASIO and non-ASIO streams to be played. The problem you describe is more found in consumer-grade hardware rather than home recording and professional recording hardware.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Quote from: Jojo on March 16, 2012, 14:09:00
That is generally not the case. So far I've only had audio devices which allow for parallel ASIO and non-ASIO streams to be played. The problem you describe is more found in consumer-grade hardware rather than home recording and professional recording hardware.
Agreed, and since OpenMPT is a free product, the chances are high that hobbyists are using it rather than professionals. For that matter I did mention it. Although I do have to agree that my formulating is a bit off.

Lump_Kid

Thank you very much!
I used ASIO4ALL (it was default sound device setting) and after changing device few times it doesn't eh... access in exclusive mode anymore! :D

I didn't thought that it's related with ASIO, because when I changed sound device few days ago OpenMPT is somehow just got muted.  :'(