I want use volume slide effects on a note VSTi is playing.

Started by Lump_Kid, March 25, 2012, 05:57:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Lump_Kid

axx bxx cxx dxx slides the volume of a note and you can easily control the amount of slide by adding more a00 b00 c00 d00 below of it. I want use this in a VSTi. And of course these effects can't applied on VSTis.

There's lots of answers saying 'use Zxx and set it to Plugin dry/wet ratio, and Wxx and Vxx' but I don't get how to use it (ok so I wrote SF0 in a desired note after setting the macro to dry/wet ratio. So what I have to do next?) and W and V controls the volume of whole channels, not one..

LPChip

Now, in the pattern area, use either Z00 to Z7F or \00 to \7F to set the volume. The difference between Z and \ is that Z will instantly set the volume where \ will slide to this value from the previous value in the duration of one row. Make sure that you either have assigned the vsti to that channel, or the note that currently plays in that channel has the VSTi assigned, or it will not work.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Quote from: Lump_Kid on March 25, 2012, 05:57:13axx bxx cxx dxx slides the volume of a note and you can easily control the amount of slide by adding more a00 b00 c00 d00 below of it. I want use this in a VSTi. And of course these effects can't applied on VSTis.
There is no standardized way to send volume changes to VSTis, everyone does it differently and most important, many plugins don't even allow you to change a single note's volume while not modifying the volume all playing sounds. Tracker semantics simply don't map very well on the world of DAWs and studio gear. However, depending on the plugin you use, there are some possible ways to fix this:
- (Send polyphonic aftertouch events - not many plugins support this and it's only possible in OpenMPT 1.20, which has not been released yet)
- Set the plugin volume handling to "MIDI Volume", or if that doesn't work, "Dry/Wet ratio". Note that this affects all playing notes of the plugin, and it will only work for absolute volume commands (vxx) I think, not volume slides (axx and such).
- The point above can also be resolved using MIDI macros, but it's more work.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Lump_Kid

Thanks for your kind replies.
It looks like that there's no volume slide features for VSTis so far.. ('\' does that but I can't change the speed of sliding though...)

Saga Musix

Well as said, there is no such feature because there is no standardised way to do so. VSTis don't offer an interface to manipulate note volume, so you have to rely on their MIDI implementations, which are often not very complete. However, in upcoming versions of OpenMPT, this problem will be a bit easier to handle, since I'm thinking of introducing volume and panning MIDI macros which are called automatically (without explicitely specifying a Zxx or \xx command in the pattern), but that may still take a while to become reality. And even after I have implemented those macros, you will still have to figure out on your on which MIDI messages are supported by which VSTi.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Quote from: Jojo on March 25, 2012, 13:53:55
Well as said, there is no such feature because there is no standardised way to do so. VSTis don't offer an interface to manipulate note volume, so you have to rely on their MIDI implementations, which are often not very complete. However, in upcoming versions of OpenMPT, this problem will be a bit easier to handle, since I'm thinking of introducing volume and panning MIDI macros which are called automatically (without explicitely specifying a Zxx or \xx command in the pattern), but that may still take a while to become reality. And even after I have implemented those macros, you will still have to figure out on your on which MIDI messages are supported by which VSTi.

It would be awesome if the instrument envelope could be used to change a parameter :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

That's already implemented in v1.20... it's just not applied automatically. But you can already use the computed volume and panning positions in macros and then apply those macros manually.