Modern trackers with built in advanced sample recording and editing?

Started by fisk0, March 07, 2012, 16:20:09

Previous topic - Next topic

fisk0

Are there any trackers today that would let you do more in-depth editing of the samples - like rendering effects (VST or built in) on them kind of like how FastTracker 2 had some basic reverb and delay effects it could apply (and replace) on the samples?
Most trackers today have VST support, and the ability to render to wave or mp3, but I'd want something that let you set up an effect chain for samples (like a compressor and some EQ), and then render the individual samples with the effects, so you still get a pure sample based module file without reliance on VST's, that is playable in players like XMPlay.
Of course it wouldn't be useful for timing based effects like delay (unless you intend to play the sample at the same pitch throughout the song - which there are certainly also cases of - like drum loops or voice samples), but to be able to fix the EQ, add some filters or reverb on your instruments without having to export them, mix them in audacity and then import them again, or render the song and then to sample the rendered song, would be really useful.

Rakib

Yes, renoise has this ability. It is called plugin grabber in renoise, it can also output note range, so you can have c4, c#4, d4 and so on rendered at once.
^^

Saga Musix

Yeah, Renoise can apply plugins to samples and then replace the original sample. I had something similar in mind for OpenMPT, but I haven't really had the time for implementing that yet.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

fisk0

Cool, I haven't tried Renoise in many years, I guess I should give it another try then!
Thanks a lot guys, and looking forward to it's possible future inclusion in OpenMPT. :)

nervesagent

Quote from: Saga Musix on March 07, 2012, 17:46:10
Yeah, Renoise can apply plugins to samples and then replace the original sample. I had something similar in mind for OpenMPT, but I haven't really had the time for implementing that yet.

Hi Saga Musix,

I know this is an old request but I've just started working with the latest OpenMPT since a few years (babies), but is this still something on the list to implement?
Loving the new export to sample slot function, but would it be possible to implement a more direct approach?

Something really simple like have a record button floating around that records to clipboard and then you'd be able to paste that into a sample slot would help my productivity a lot.

Thanks!

Saga Musix

It's on the list just like many other "must-have" features, but time is limited.

QuoteSomething really simple like have a record button floating around that records to clipboard and then you'd be able to paste that into a sample slot would help my productivity a lot.
Implementing a half-baked solution just steals time unnecessarily (and would be more complicated than implementing a real VST sampler, actually).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.