XM format question: Initial Global volume vs Global volume

Started by LPChip, January 27, 2012, 14:44:25

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

I found something perculiar today and I'm wondered how this exactly works.

I opened an XM file and saw that the initial Global volume in the pattern tab is set to 128. This particular song fades out at the end but they forgot to reset the volume to the original at the beginning, so on a loop, the song stays silent.

So I thought, I'll add a G80 command to get that sorted out. As XM isn't my normal format, The IT command Vxx didn't work. So I double clicked the effects list to find it's Gxx. Strangely, I could only use the slider up to 40, which is value 64, not 128.

I realize this is a limit in the XM format. This occurred to me when I manually set it to G80 and it was simply being ignored. The G40 does sound the same as the initial global volume setting of 128, which makes me wonder. Does XM format only goes up to 64, so that value is just doubled because the interface is like that, or is everything above 64 seen as 64?

I notice the volume changes when I change this slider.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

The global volume on the general tab is indeed doubled for the XM format to display the same value throughout all formats. It would actually be a good idea to halve the value for XM and S3M on the general tab, so that the value on the general tab corresponds exactly to the pattern command values.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Quote from: Jojo on January 27, 2012, 15:42:27
The global volume on the general tab is indeed doubled for the XM format to display the same value throughout all formats. It would actually be a good idea to halve the value for XM and S3M on the general tab, so that the value on the general tab corresponds exactly to the pattern command values.

Yeah, I like that idea. Now its a bit confusing.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

The behaviour has now been changed so that the global volume slider ranges from 0 to 64 for XM and S3M files.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip