OpenMPT crashes randomly when play or stop is pressed.

Started by corlenbelspar, January 06, 2012, 12:02:25

Previous topic - Next topic

corlenbelspar

So yeah, seemingly at random when I play or stop a song in OpenMPT, the program just freezes for a moment then crashes.  Any ideas how I can fix this?  It is very annoying where I have to redo the same thing in a song like three times or more before I can save it. 

LPChip

It helps if you tell us a bit more about your song and configuration.

Are you using VSTi's, if so, which ones and how many of them? The same for VST effects of course.

Can you reproduce this with a simple 1 pattern song?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

corlenbelspar

Sure thing, what would you like me to tell you specifically about the song's configuration?  I don't think I could reproduce it off hand with a simple 1 pattern song because it seemingly happens entirely at random, although I'm sure it would still happen.

If it helps, I'm using version 1.19.04.00, the current version of course, and the IT actually has multiple songs in it, set up with position jump effects.

I am using no VSTs or VSTis.

Saga Musix

Does it happen with any file or just that specific file? Did this always happen, or did it start to happen at a certain point, when upgrading to a new version of OpenMPT, when upgrading drivers or hardware components / etc? It's possible that the crashes are caused by bad sound drivers. There still seems to be a very common onboard driver which crashes OpenMPT constantly on some configurations and I couldn't understand yet where and why it happens.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

corlenbelspar

It only started happening when I downloaded OpenMPT (I used to just have Modplug Tracker) and I haven't tested other files yet.  It may very well be the drivers, I will try fiddling with them and get back to you guys on that.

Saga Musix

Please try the latest test version of OpenMPT - it should create a memory dump when it encounters a crash which can help me isolating the problem.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Are you working on older songs created in Modplug tracker 1.16, or does it also happen with newly created songs, that never were made/saved in the old tracker?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

corlenbelspar

I'm using the latest version, how do I find the memory dump?  Since I swapped the sound driver to Auto (Wave Mapper) it seems to not be crashing anymore.  It was set on one of the ASIO drivers in the list when it was crashing.

Saga Musix

The location of the memory dump is displayed when it is created. It is only created with the latest test versions (1.20), not with the current stable (1.19). It pretty much sounds like your ASIO driver is broken then. You should try updating it, or try ASIO4All if that also doesn't help, since ASIO generally provides the best audio performance in OpenMPT.

corlenbelspar

I'm using an onboard soundcard right now on a netbook because my desktop computer is in another country right now, which has a soundcard specifically designed to do ASIO.  If I get another crash I'll let you know what the dump says.  I'm fine with using wave mapper anyway so I guess if it doesn't crash anymore then problem solved.

Saga Musix

The main problem with Wave Mapper and DirectSound is that they don't sync pattern scrolling perfectly with the music - with ASIO, the pattern display never "stutters". But yes, if you get any more crashes, please provide a memory dump.

corlenbelspar

Yeah I know, ASIO bypasses the latency problems that are associated with non-ASIO soundcards.  I will provide that memory dump if I get the chance anyway.