Is there some way I can make a reverb or echo effect in ModPlug Tracker?

Started by WinnerGuy, November 05, 2011, 01:08:43

Previous topic - Next topic

WinnerGuy

I've been using something called "Step Seq." (http://www.kongregate.com/games/quickfingerz/step-seq) , and it has a lot of features that auto-set a bunch of stuff in the current song. I want to see if I can duplicate these features in ModPlug Tracker, especially "reverb". If you could please explain to me how I can do so, I'd appreciate it very much.
WinnerGuy

Rakib

Alt 1. View menu - Setup - Player - Set the reverb. Go to pattern and write s99 for reverb on and s98 for reverb off.

Alt 2. Go to General tab, choose plugin and choose reverb/delay from there. Alternatively you can find many other reverbs and delays at kvraudio.com. And remember to assing the plugin to the instrument in the instrument tab. For a more detailed description on how to control the plugins I recommend reading the manual.

http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=4387.0
^^

Saga Musix

Note that the first proposition should not be used; You can only use exactly one reverb type at a time and the reverb settings are not stored in your music files - thus it is quite inflexible and will sound different when listening to the track on another OpenMPT installation.

I'd suggest to use a reverb plugin as in the second proposition. If you want to work in the MOD/S3M/XM/IT format, you should/must render your samples with a reverb (i.e. put one note of the sample on an empty pattern, enable the reverb effect, and render the pattern to WAV, then load it into a sample slot again), as you can't/shouldn't embed plugins in those formats.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

WinnerGuy

Thanks for the tips, you two! I found the Empire 2 plug-in, and it works great. ;D I also ended up using a Flange plug-in in the same song. One odd thing, however, is that my Windows XP system converts it into MP3 at a maximum quality of 56Kb, while my Windows 7 system can make it at 320Kb. Do you have any idea what's up with this?
WinnerGuy

Saga Musix

You most likely have LAME or some other MP3 encoder installed on your Win7 system; Windows XP comes with a cut-down version of the Fraunhofer MP3 Encoder, which can only create MP3 files with a bitrate of up to 56kbit/s. You can download LAME from here and put lame_enc.dll in OpenMPT's directory to get access to full bitrate MP3 encoding.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

WinnerGuy

Great! You're a whiz, JoJo.
Now, I've completed the project with the echo and such, now I'm dabbling in Dubstep. 8) You wouldn't happen to know how I could build my own Dubstep wobbles, would you?
Thanks,
  WinnerGuy

Saga Musix

There are many ways to do that. One would be to use a VST instrument of your choice which has an LFO (f.e. Synth1). You'd use that LFO to control the filter cutoff and change the LFO speed "on the fly" using parameter automation for every note.
Or you just assign the same sample to multiple instruments, each of them having a filter envelope with varying "wobble speed".
There are many ways to do it.

WinnerGuy

Thank you very much, Jojo. You've been most helpful.
WinnerGuy