Splitting patterns at the active row

Started by sailorenlil, November 13, 2011, 14:31:29

Previous topic - Next topic

sailorenlil

Hi everyone

Just wondering if there is or will be such a feature as being able to split a pattern into two at the cursor/active row location. I used other trackers before with that feature (notably OctaMED for the Amiga) especially when importing a module or MIDI file that sort of goes "out of sync" (eg a passage having bars not equal to a power of 4, either it is shorter than a 64-row pattern or spans more than one pattern but does not end on the last row of the last spanned pattern) so that at one point the start of the passage or set of bars in the song is no longer at the first row of each subsequent pattern and I want to easily clean it up. For now I have to resort to inserting new blank patterns and doing copy-paste for each one (eg copy from row 24-63 on an existing pattern to row 0 in the new blank pattern, then row 0-23 of the next existing pattern to row 48 of that new pattern, and so on).

Saga Musix

There is no such built-in functionality, but using the duplicate pattern and row selection shortcuts, it should be fairly fast to split a pattern into two, no?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

sailorenlil

Well I would like to know how to use those "row selection shortcuts" (eg select rows 24-63), but I can't find them in the downloadable manual. I guess I'm still used to that split/join pattern functionality from OctaMED (used it a lot when importing old Soundtracker MODs that needed such cleanups). Otherwise I've had to do this manually (via mouse drag-selection), and nearly got myself mixed up trying to clean up an imported MIDI file, which resulted in a song with like 40 patterns or so (which had several changes in sync too, so after 10 patterns it was row 32-63+0-31, then later on 48-63+0-47, and so on).

Saga Musix

You can select whole rows by clicking/dragging over their respective row numbers on the left side (Excel style selection), or you could place the cursor in the first column (using the Home key), then pressing Shift-Down / Shift-PageDown until you have select the desired numbers of rows, and then keep shift pressed and press End to extend the selection the last column. Alternatively, pressing Shift-End twice extends the selection to the last column first and then to the last row of the pattern.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

sailorenlil

Quote from: Jojo on November 13, 2011, 17:31:06
You can select whole rows by clicking/dragging over their respective row numbers on the left side (Excel style selection), or you could place the cursor in the first column (using the Home key), then pressing Shift-Down / Shift-PageDown until you have select the desired numbers of rows, and then keep shift pressed and press End to extend the selection the last column. Alternatively, pressing Shift-End twice extends the selection to the last column first and then to the last row of the pattern.

Well if I'm selecting the "lower" portion of the pattern to be split this is fine. But the "upper" portion (rows 0-24 out of 64 for instance), I'll still need to do manual row selection, and this is where things can get hairy if I'm having to do this to 40+ patterns within a song. If only there was a quick way to do so without having to resort to things like keystroke macros or something (and I would rather not go in that direction). Really the pattern "split/join" feature is something I sorely miss from the old days of OctaMED.

Saga Musix

QuoteBut the "upper" portion (rows 0-24 out of 64 for instance), I'll still need to do manual row selection
I'm not sure why you would want to do this - I'd do it this way:
- Duplicate pattern.
- Resize first pattern to desired split length
- Move all lines below split length in second pattern to the top (cut/paste)
- Resize second pattern.

Of course this is not an optimal solution but I think that's the easiest possible way at the moment.

sailorenlil

Well I did something similar to your suggestion actually, though I've had a few moments of doing a few booboos (eg wriong selection). Anyway after finally getting through all that mess my project is finished, and this is the result (actually I used OpenMPT in conjunction with a software known as Vocaloid):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh9wK9Q6lb0