One Voice Compo (1st - 15th of April)

Started by Louigi Verona, March 31, 2006, 06:03:15

Previous topic - Next topic

apple-joe

KrazyKatz

Wong -
QuoteThose voice samples you're using are amazing, KrazyKatz - what kind of instrument are they?

Genuine Choir samples, including real soprano. Painstakingly converted to .iti files for use with modplug. My aim always is to create the most realistic sound possible, and I spend hours converting real instrument samples into custom Instrument files for Modplug.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

Louigi Verona

QuoteMy aim always is to create the most realistic sound possible, and I spend hours converting real instrument samples into custom Instrument files for Modplug.

Wow! That's a great initiative! You must have quite a collection now. Can you share a couple of iti instruments?

KrazyKatz

Ill be creating a new post shortly with regard to sharing instruments Mr. Verona.

Get those results out man!

:D

Cheers
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

DavidN

I can hardly wait, KK - thanks for the reply!

Louigi Verona

1 judge to go - Jonne! We had some conversations over e-mail, he was really at it, but then - gone again. The rest of the judges handed in their votes. I can already see what are the winning tunes

apple-joe

PPH

Maybe we should find a way to reduce the number of tracks judges must evaluate for next time. Twenty one is a big number of tracks to judge. What will happen if next time there are thirty tracks. Setting them in order of preference is a daunting task. A previous round could be added, so as to make a "pre-selection" and choose fifteen finalists.  Then the judges vote like now, putting the finalists in order.

Pre-selection could be made by the judges themselves: it's easier to say "these are the fifteen best tracks" than to say "these are the tracks, ordered from better to worst". Each judge could send a list of the fifteen tracks they think are the best, in random order. The fifteen most voted tracks (if there is a draw among several tracks in the last of the fifteen, it could be acceptable to have more tracks) are then submitted to the second round, in which judges vote just like now.

What do you think?
============
PPH
-Melody Enthusiast
============

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "PPH"What do you think?
I think ten tracks.

apple-joe

Sounds like an idea. Probably easier for the judges.

LPChip

Yeah.

Or you could do it like this you devide the tracks among the judges.

Lets say, there are 30 songs, and 5 judges. If each judge listens to 6 songs, and they take out only the better songs (if possible give between 1 and 3) it should come to a bout 10~15 songs to sort.

They put it in order, and only top 10 is being listed? (so you get a list with the best songs)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

PPH

Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"
Quote from: "PPH"What do you think?
I think ten tracks.

Yes, probably better. Fifteen was just an example. I think the quality and fairness of the judging is improved if the judges don't have so many tracks to judge.
============
PPH
-Melody Enthusiast
============

PPH

Quote from: "LPChip"Yeah.

Lets say, there are 30 songs, and 5 judges. If each judge listens to 6 songs, and they take out only the better songs (if possible give between 1 and 3) it should come to a bout 10~15 songs to sort.

They put it in order, and only top 10 is being listed? (so you get a list with the best songs)

This option has two big disadvantages. First, if you divide the tracks like that, it can happen that a judge gets almost only bad tracks and another gets almos only good ones, and because each judge takes tracks from his pool, a bad track can end up being a finalist instead of a good track which was unlucky enough as to fall in the same pool as other good tracks. Second, judges have different criteria, which means all tracks should be judged by all judges. If not, tracks will be left out just because one judge didn't like them, even though all the rest of the judges would have let the track in (the opposite can happen too; a track that just one judge likes might end up as a finalist, leaving out a better track).
============
PPH
-Melody Enthusiast
============

LPChip

Quote from: "PPH"
Quote from: "LPChip"Yeah.

This option has two big disadvantages. First, if you divide the tracks like that, it can happen that a judge gets almost only bad tracks and another gets almos only good ones, and because each judge takes tracks from his pool, a bad track can end up being a finalist instead of a good track which was unlucky enough as to fall in the same pool as other good tracks. Second, judges have different criteria, which means all tracks should be judged by all judges. If not, tracks will be left out just because one judge didn't like them, even though all the rest of the judges would have let the track in (the opposite can happen too; a track that just one judge likes might end up as a finalist, leaving out a better track).

Yeah, you are right.

Perhaps, make a selection in the judge for those that have more time on their hands, and let them preview the entries, giving them a number from 1 to 10, and then make a selection of the songs by looking at the given ratings.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Louigi Verona

Or perhaps just accept the fact that judging may take long.