Unity and .it file compatibility

Started by Skaven, October 13, 2011, 13:42:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Skaven

Some acquaintances of mine are working on a game project on Unity and want to use my old tracker songs in it.

The problem is, though, that the native Unity tracker music player only seems to work with .s3m files, and the very oldest .it files I have - ones that have been saved with the original DOS Impulse Tracker. Anything newer than that isn't recognized as a tracker song.

I already tried "Compatibility Export", but alas it doesn't fix the problem. :/  Is there anything else I can do to make the songs 'recognizable' for Unity?

I found this answer on the Unity forums. Apparently using old ModPlug Tracker (1.17.02.54 or earlier) fixes the problem.

Well... no: I tried both re-saving AND Compatibility Exporting the song file with OpenMPT 1.17.02.48 but it still didn't work. :/

LPChip

I suppose you could always load Impulse Tracker again to resave the song.

It runs in dosbox using this installation.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Skaven

Cool, thanks! I'll try to get that to work.

Saga Musix

Quote from: Unity ForumYou have to use MODPlug Tracker 1.17.02.54!!! The later versions have some kind of file format hack that Unity doesn't like!
*sigh* ... "hacks". That's exactly what the later versions are removing.
Are you making use of filter envelopes? In that case, OpenMPT writes a higher IT version in the header (IT 2.17), because that feature was only available in the latest non-public IT releases. The leaked (?) IT2.15 on ModLand also seemed to have some problems with that, so I have reduced the IT version to 2.16 to make it work with that version. Check if this works better for you.
Apart from that, I've heard people using libmodplug with Unity, so if that is an option, you should probably go for it.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Saga Musix

Also, the information in that post is not applicable to the IT format, since I'm pretty sure that XM files won't load in Unity because OpenMPT uses a trimmed header (which results in perfectly valid XM files, people should not ignore the header size!), something that is not possible with IT files.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.