Help Wanted: OHM content transfer

Started by Saga Musix, August 25, 2011, 17:07:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Harbinger

The reason i created the Glossary in the first place was because i wanted a new user who had no musical or tracking experience (but had the drive to learn) to quickly find the definitions for words that he may not be too sure of. I decided to make it a separate PDF so that he could go right to that instead of navigating to a new place in the OHM (which meant he would have to navigate back to where he was reading, and he may have lost his page). What i eventually wanted to do was make any one of these glossarized terms linked so he could go to it, find out what he needed to know, then choose the "Back" button or shortcut and go right back to his starting point.

Ideally any term that we want glossarized for new users, i would want those terms colored differently and hoverable, so that if a user moves his mouse over the term, after a second or two, the definition would pop up in something like a tooltip. That way he doesn't have to navigate anywhere else. On the other hand if a user doesn't need to know the definition or need any clarification, the text coloring does not distract from his reading and if he's the kind that moves the mouse cursor over the line he's reading the tooltip doesn't pop up immediately. This i was hoping was one of the advantages of HTML...

Rakib

I agree with you Harbinger, if anybody know how to do this in html please show us how.
^^

Saga Musix

That's what HTML elements like <abbr> (abbreviation), <dfn> (definition), <acronym> etc. are for. For example <abbr title="et cetera">etc.</abbr> - however, I doubt that any of those are exported to PDF with the PDF generator I'm using, let alone with a hover tooltip.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Harbinger

Forget the PDF version for this effect. I wanted to see this for the online help pages... :D

jmkz

Quote from: Harbinger on October 17, 2011, 19:56:02
The reason i created the Glossary in the first place was because i wanted a new user who had no musical or tracking experience (but had the drive to learn) to quickly find the definitions for words that he may not be too sure of. [...]

That's exactly what it's needed and wanted to, an all-in-one wiki for anyone 8)

Saga Musix

Well I don't want to disappoint you, but the "all for really everyone" approach doesn't work. Putting all knowledge about music production, sound theory, whatever, no matter how well categorized / etc. it is, is pointless. With a all-in-one website, you confuse people more than helping them, so there must be clear restrictions of what goes into the wiki and what not.

There are already more than enough audio related wikis (which I have no problem linking to), and there is google, so if someone goes "WTF is an Tape Loop", there is no need to explain this on the wiki, other than in a subordinate clause of the original text where this is mentioned.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

jmkz

I just mean that anything applicable to OpenMPT should be (at some point) on the wiki.

Harbinger

As long as i am using MPT, i will maintain my own OHM/CHM for the current version, but i will probably always be behind the most recent build of MPT by a few months or even a year, and i will not update unless there are big changes or additional features (such as those coming up in 1.20). I imagine Jojo or someone else will keep the Wiki pages more up-to-date, but he will apply his own filter of what should be included there. The details of MPT (which i call the MPT Reference) will usually not be found in the Wiki version, as this is for quick reference of MPT's usage rather than detailed info on such esoterica as the dialogs, the minutiae of plugin workings, the menu descriptions, etc. As the devs continue to improve or fix MPT, they will generally probably not include all the details of their improvements in the Wiki (altho you'll be able to see what they've done in the version log).

But i agree -- i want to maintain a record of practically anything having to do with MPT, which was my whole purpose in creating the OHM. I want new users to be able to jump right in, intermediate users to figure why they can't get done what they want done, and veteran trackers to understand exactly what's going on with MPT as they try to stretch the limits of its features.
So, it may not find its way to the Wiki, but i will try to maintain it in my OHM or Reference PDF. Of course, as Jojo says, some questions to new users may be too broad to be made "MPT-specific" and should be left to the new user to go find out at other web pages...

Rakib

Whats the link to find all the todos again?
^^

Saga Musix

It's in the first paragraph on the main page.

Rakib

^^

Saga Musix

Yep, and I'd like to emphasize that the pattern editor help is still rather sparse; it will probably stay like that for the OpenMPT 1.20, depending on when I (and anyone else willing to help) will find time to copy over texts from the OHM or write up completely new texts.