MIDI library instruments and multiple samples

Started by fidget_84, August 25, 2011, 01:14:01

Previous topic - Next topic

fidget_84

When I drag a MIDI instrument from the MIDI library into an empty instrument slot, it loads 10 or so different tones of the sample used by the instrument so I wind up sifting through 10 samples, deleting the unused samples until I find the one used by the instrument. Is there any way to load a MIDI instrument from the MIDI bank without MPT automatically adding all those unusable samples?

Saga Musix

This behaviour is correct. Most MIDI soundfonts are multisampled, that means that different samples are used for different octaves or notes of the instrument, to give it a more realistic sound. Unused sample don't harm you, so you can simply use "Remove unused samples" and "Rearrange samples" from the "Cleanup" menu item (in the "Edit" menu) after you have finished writing your track to get rid of unused samples. If you want just one sample of the MIDI instrument, you can drag it on the sample view instead of the instrument view instead, but in that case the instrument will sound less realistic (as if the default soundfont that ships with Windows wasn't already synthetic enough..) and you have no control over which of the many samples is actually loaded.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.