Sample pitch WAY too low when imported into MOD file

Started by DashProject, July 10, 2011, 14:01:02

Previous topic - Next topic

DashProject

Has anybody else had this problem? This has almost always happened to me whenever I try importing a sample into ModPlug while trying to compose a *MOD file. Generally the sample, unless it was ripped from another *MOD file, will play back extremely slowly, both in the sample-editing tab and in the main pattern-editing tab.

For instance (and I'm just wild mass-guessing the actual notes here,) a sample played at C5 will sound like a C3 or C2 note, and to get it to sound right I'd often have to use very high notes like C7 or C8 to get a normal C4, C5 or C6 note. I hope this makes sense. I really don't like doing this not only because it doesn't feel right when composing, but also I think I remember at least one time (I'm not sure it actually happened though, it's been a long time) when I made a *MOD song using very high notes, it sounded decent in ModPlug, but when played in an external *MOD player everything was horribly distorted and high-pitched sounding. It's as if the samples are at normal pitch in everywhere but ModPlug itself.

Please help...I've tried adjusting Finetune and Transpose and even pitch/pitch-shifting, but it doesn't do a dang thing. I really need to figure this out soon, because my friend is planning on making a browser-based game for my website, we wanted to use authentic tracker music (not prerecorded OGG or MP3 music, in other words,) and the only plugin we could find, JsMod, apparently only supports *MOD files. I am more used to composing *IT files, so the more help I could get with this problem, the better! Thanks beforehand...

Saga Musix

Samples in the MOD format are always tuned to 8363Hz plus/minus a few cents, you simply cannot change that. If that's an inconvenience for you, you'll have to pick another module format. You only have 6 octaves in the MOD format (ranging from C-3 to B-8), and if you're adhering the Amiga frequency limits it's even just 3 octaves (C-4 to B-6), so you will have to downsample a lot if you want to use high-pitched instruments in the MOD format (for example using the Downsample button in OpenMPT's sample editor).
Oh and I hope you know how slow playing MODs in JavaScript is. If you want to play a MOD and still be able to have some actual gameplay, you'll need an unauthentically fast computer to actually run it. If you need MODs in a browser, the only halfway decent way is currently to use a flash module player.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

DashProject

Quote from: Jojo on July 10, 2011, 15:16:04
Samples in the MOD format are always tuned to 8363Hz plus/minus a few cents, you simply cannot change that. If that's an inconvenience for you, you'll have to pick another module format. You only have 6 octaves in the MOD format (ranging from C-3 to B-8), and if you're adhering the Amiga frequency limits it's even just 3 octaves (C-4 to B-6), so you will have to downsample a lot if you want to use high-pitched instruments in the MOD format (for example using the Downsample button in OpenMPT's sample editor).
Oh and I hope you know how slow playing MODs in JavaScript is. If you want to play a MOD and still be able to have some actual gameplay, you'll need an unauthentically fast computer to actually run it. If you need MODs in a browser, the only halfway decent way is currently to use a flash module player.

Erm...thanks  :(

I guess I'll compose in Impulse Tracker format, then export as OGG and use the OGG file for music. It's not the same but at least it'll work for sure.