Author Topic: Using VSTi in .it file, do I need a dll to play it?  (Read 2892 times)

Offline Petroz

• Shy artist
Using VSTi in .it file, do I need a dll to play it?
« on: July 05, 2011, 11:34:29 »
I am composing some music for an Android game I am making. I am using FMOD to play the .it file but I'm not quite sure how VSTi will work. Can I create a standalone .it file that contains the VSTi or is the dll required in order to play the .it?

Offline Saga Musix

• OpenMPT Developers
  • aka Jojo
    • Download music, samples, VST plugins: Saga Musix Website
  • Operating System: Windows 10 x64
Re: Using VSTi in .it file, do I need a dll to play it?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 11:50:33 »
You cannot use VST plugins with libraries like FMOD. You'll have to render your instruments to samples.
You are even contradicting yourself: You want to run a Windows DLL on an Android device. How would you imagine that to work? Not to speak of the low CPU power of typical android devices, which would not be nearly enough for most VST plugins.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 15:10:24 by Jojo »
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Offline Rakib

• Crazy artist
  • Operating System: win7x64
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 07:01:01 »
Is there a easier way to do this than export as wave in the file menu?
^^

Offline LPChip

• Administrator
    • http://lpchip.nl
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 08:19:32 »
@Jojo: do you realize that fmod is also a .dll?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Offline Saga Musix

• OpenMPT Developers
  • aka Jojo
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 08:50:16 »
LPChip: Do you realize that FMOD is a library? Windows is not the only operating system that can handle libraries! On Linux the file would be called fmod.so for example, so on Android it's probably also fmod.so :P
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Offline LPChip

• Administrator
    • http://lpchip.nl
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 11:38:33 »
I see... Yeah, am not a programmer :P but that must've been obvious by now.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Offline Saga Musix

• OpenMPT Developers
  • aka Jojo
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 15:37:06 »
That's right, I wouldn't consider writing programs in Visual Basic "programming" either! :nuts: