Allowing 'Bypass Plugin' via PCE - possible feature request?

Started by Christofori, June 19, 2011, 07:24:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

Actually I'm not sure if you can maximize the Window over several screens, but in windowed mode it's no problem to extend the window to multiple screens. Though I generally prefer to just put plugin editors on a secondary screen, which doesn't need the main window to be extended.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Quote from: Jojo on June 28, 2011, 16:24:45
Actually I'm not sure if you can maximize the Window over several screens
By default, no. But either by some software that add it as a context menu option or special command, or by drivers who will create one desktop over several screens, you can. Of course, there are some limitations, like both desktops must have the same desktop size.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Christofori

Quote from: LPChip on June 28, 2011, 17:00:18
By default, no. But either by some software that add it as a context menu option or special command, or by drivers who will create one desktop over several screens, you can. Of course, there are some limitations, like both desktops must have the same desktop size.

Correct; NVidia's NView desktop manager software being one which allows this type of feature, and additionally sets another "Maximize All" button for your windows (up where the standard minimize, restore/maximize, and close "X" buttons are on the title bar).  I however am just using Windows' default support of multiple monitors with no added functionality; so indeed as Jojo suggests, maximizing a window does so on the active monitor (whichever one the application is mostly on at the time the max command was issued).

http://www.christofori.net/images/christofori-tracker_on_multi-monitors.jpg

You will see that I've arraged my screens in a kind of L-shape; the main monitor (notably where the taskbar is) is the largest of the three, while the other 2 in a vertical configuration are much smaller (you can see the bottom of which by the forum open behind the tracker window). :)

Quote from: Jojo on June 28, 2011, 16:24:45
Though I generally prefer to just put plugin editors on a secondary screen, which doesn't need the main window to be extended.

Me too.  Didn't have any open at the time of the screenshot; though you can see one of my PLAY windows behind the tracker on the main screen... I just think it'd be cool to be able to modify instruments AND watch pattern data go by, but it might just be me...

Also it should be noted that depending on the hardware involved for the screens, one will get different performance results in the tracker when it runs restored (stretched, not maximized) across multiple screens -- as for me, and my example; I've got an older Intel dual card running my smaller screens, and when stretching the window over to them there were some pops in the audio.. they didn't last though, until moving it back.  My PCI bus probably wondered what the heck I was doing for a moment, though.. :)
/christofori
'slightly disturbed and wonderfully content'
*Master of the Obvious*

LPChip

Quote from: christofori on June 29, 2011, 14:36:46
I just think it'd be cool to be able to modify instruments AND watch pattern data go by, but it might just be me...
You can do that by creating a new window. (menu window-> new window) and drag it to the other screen. Select whatever tab you want to view over there and you're set!
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Christofori

Quote from: LPChip on June 29, 2011, 14:48:27
You can do that by creating a new window. (menu window-> new window) and drag it to the other screen. Select whatever tab you want to view over there and you're set!

... IF the tracker's already spanning all of your screens, then yes, you are correct.

Tracker windows must exist inside the main OMPT tracker window interface.
/christofori
*Master of the Obvious*

LPChip

Quote from: christofori on June 29, 2011, 14:50:12
Ah... yeah, thats true. Didn't think of that.
... IF the tracker's already spanning all of your screens, then yes, you are correct.

Harbinger

Quote from: christofori on June 29, 2011, 14:50:12

This is why i asked about using multiple monitors. I want to include a blurb in the next release of the OHM which expands MultiView with multiple monitors. Using more than one monitor can be as beneficial as activating more than one plugin with a single note. I do want to be sure, however, that stretching ModPlug's parent window over more than one screen canNOT be done natively with Windows -- one must have a video card and driver which allows it.

Christofori, if you can upload a screenshot which shows 2 displays showing how the parent window can be stretched, and different child windows of the same track (one for the General Tab and the other showing the Patterns page), i want to include it in the next help manual. But, and you're going to hate me for asking this, but i need the screenshot to show the original ModPlug theme (even though i love your Commodore 80 screen coloring scheme).

And one last question for multiple monitor users: If you reposition the dialogs (esp. the ones that can stay open while you work in Modplug's PE in the background) to the other screen (these do not rely on the parent window), do they always open in the main monitor or do they re-open in the last position you left them, on the other screen?

Saga Musix

Quote from: Harbinger on June 29, 2011, 20:30:13
I do want to be sure, however, that stretching ModPlug's parent window over more than one screen canNOT be done natively with Windows -- one must have a video card and driver which allows it.
As said, in windowed mode you can stretch the window without any additional drivers, in maximized mode you can only achieve this by using the appropriate driver software.

QuoteChristofori, if you can upload a screenshot which shows 2 displays showing how the parent window can be stretched
I'm not sure how such a screenshot would help a lot with explaining how this works - afterall, you cannot determine what part of the windows is on which screen, right?

QuoteIf you reposition the dialogs (esp. the ones that can stay open while you work in Modplug's PE in the background) to the other screen (these do not rely on the parent window), do they always open in the main monitor or do they re-open in the last position you left them, on the other screen?
Depends on the dialogs, most of them are just set up to be centered, others (f.e. plugin screens) remember their position. No difference to single-monitor setups.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Why can't you make a screenshot that tells it all?

See attachment. :) (sorry for the crappy quality, but 256kb limit is... limited :P

Saga Musix

That's not a screenshot, that's a photograph. :P

Quote from: LPChip on June 29, 2011, 21:10:18sorry for the crappy quality, but 256kb limit is... limited :P
Ever heard of picture uploading services? :>

Christofori

Quote from: Jojo on June 29, 2011, 20:35:48
Christofori, if you can upload a screenshot which shows 2 displays showing how the parent window can be stretched
I'm not sure how such a screenshot would help a lot with explaining how this works - afterall, you cannot determine what part of the windows is on which screen, right?

One could so determine, were I to be nice and outline the monitor edges with a highlited color before uploading said screenshot(s). ;) 

I can do this tonight -- but I've got a rehearsal to lead in an hour or so.  Should have time after that and some evening chores. :)

But, and you're going to hate me for asking this, but i need the screenshot to show the original ModPlug theme (even though i love your Commodore 80 screen coloring scheme).

Nah; hate's an awefully strong word, anyway.  Although the window/menu/etc. coloring being green has a lot more to do with my Windoze color scheme than my OMPT colors; though I might just set up a test user for this (and perhaps others of just this kind of thing) so I'll be able to show the defaults to reduce confusion... (and I'll see about a portable/defaulted OMPT for said test user as well, while I'm at it..).  I could then do a few new windows and set them to different views in OMPT (say, instruments in one, patterns in another, and perhaps general or samples in the final) -- the only tricky part (considering my L-shaped layout) is going to be setting the pattern window to not be TOO BIG for my main screen (but of course it'll just be a sub-window, so it won't be tricky at all..) -- but just mentioning the added details so ya'll shall know I'm trying to not leave anything out.. ;)  The test user of course is so I don't have to muck up my own profile for testing/demo purposes.. ;)

I could also do another set showing plugin controls on a screen as well, since it seems to be the popular way to use them amongst the crowd here.

I suppose, all this already IS/WAS possible in current/past builds; but in bringing it up at all, I was looking for the ability to move the 'sub windows' outside of the tracker's main window (or, switch perhaps to a mode with NO main window and only sub-windows... but that could be dangerous...) -- should've been a tad more specific.. ^_^

[Edit: had an extra nested quote messing me up slightly.. lol..]
/christofori
*Master of the Obvious*

Saga Musix

Quote from: christofori on June 29, 2011, 22:23:38I was looking for the ability to move the 'sub windows' outside of the tracker's main window
This is not possible with MDI applications. You can only move dialogs and similar windows out the main workspace, but no child document windows.

Harbinger

Just need to show Modplug's window over 2 screens (upper/lower or side-by-side). Don't worry about the coloring scheme after all, unless it's easy for you to assemble. I'll just do a mockup based on your screenshot if necessary. And BTW, LPChip indeed shows the capability, but i need a straight 2D image, to show how you can use multiple monitors to separate the different child windows for one track.

And also -- no rush. I'm not rushing on my work, no since you rushing on this... 8)

Quote from: Jojo on June 29, 2011, 20:35:48
Depends on the dialogs, most of them are just set up to be centered, others (f.e. plugin screens) remember their position. No difference to single-monitor setups.

OK, so with 2 monitors, i can slide my plugin GUIs for example over to the second screen, without having to close them so i can see the Pattern Editor and use the GUI. That's the biggest selling point for multiple monitors yet. Perhaps i can make a FR to make some of these dialogs modal (modeless?) so they always stay open even when you're working in the PE. Off the top of my head: Find/Replace, Macro Manager, Channel Manager...orf course, some of these would need an Apply button to exceute the function but not close the window....

Christofori

Quote from: Harbinger on June 29, 2011, 22:39:09
Just need to show Modplug's window over 2 screens (upper/lower or side-by-side)

As you will see below in the screenshots, my displays being different resolutions makes 2 screens more difficult perhaps... Or this could even show the possibilities of 3, making the number more popular indeed.. (Each person I've worked with that we enabled multiple monitor workstations for when I was in IT, always started out "I've got one, what would I use 2 for?"  -- then they get the second one, and can't go back to 1... I've found the same 'love' of desktop 'real-estate' continues growing when one is used to 3 or 4 or more monitors as well..)

And also -- no rush. I'm not rushing on my work, no since you rushing on this... 8) 

Perhaps a bit outside the norm; and I'm afraid I can't show you any different as I don't have 2 evenly matched resolution displays, but my funky 3 L-shape.  Either way I think you might be able to use these images.. and they should be pretty self-explanatory.  Each was a screenshot taken of all 3 'views' of the desktop taken simultaneously; note as I had to expand the main/parent OMPT window largely enough to fill all 3 in my current configuration, that the title bar's controls (maximize, X, etc) are NOT visible; also should be noted my display resolutions are:

#1 = 1280x960
#'s 2 and 3 are both 1024x768

http://www.christofori.net/images/MultiMonitorsAndWindows1.JPG
http://www.christofori.net/images/MultiMonitorsAndWindows2.JPG

I doubt I'll remove the pics for a while; but if you want to take copies and modify them for your purposes and/or include them in the OHM of course you're more than welcome to do so. ;)  Probably best not to permanently link the OHM to pics on my site though, just in case I delete them while 'spring cleaning' or whatnot.. ;)

OK, so with 2 monitors, i can slide my plugin GUIs for example over to the second screen, without having to close them so i can see the Pattern Editor and use the GUI. That's the biggest selling point for multiple monitors yet.

IMHO Yep, at the moment. ;)   Though, wacko's like your's truly here can do some other stuff that could come in handy at times..  Especially for those who want to keep tabs on multiple things at once (though I should state I've not tried editing multiple things on the fly in this setup as I don't run it often due to sound pops mentioned previously; but one with a nice new fast rig and good multi-display video cards [that don't hog the bus..] wouldn't have the same issues...)

[Edit: Note that even though I show the plugin windows inside the OMPT 'parent' window in ss #2 above, they actually are NOT; they are OVER the window; clicking on the parent window would bring it to the forground and cover the plugin GUI's in my case (I wasn't being as thorough as normal, perhaps.. heh..)]
/christofori
*Master of the Obvious*

Harbinger

Excellent pix! I will use the second one as it shows more functionality with extra windows like for the plugin GUIs. ;)

Thanks for your help, and you can expect to see this image (or one like it) in the next OHM! 8)