[synth pop / demostyle] Life Inside Machine (mp3)

Started by Louigi Verona, June 18, 2011, 21:15:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Louigi Verona

LPChip

Quote from: Louigi Verona on June 22, 2011, 12:13:50
I think you are right.

I hope I am... I'm often credited for my good oldskool demostyle music for the demos I work on. (ex: TMDC)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Demostyle is no strictly defined genre; Most people consider "demostyle tunes" as something they would expect to hear in a demo, or classical demotunes in general. However, it doesn't matter what actual genre the tune is in.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Quote from: Jojo on June 22, 2011, 13:57:39
Demostyle is no strictly defined genre; Most people consider "demostyle tunes" as something they would expect to hear in a demo, or classical demotunes in general. However, it doesn't matter what actual genre the tune is in.

You're wrong. Demostyle is a genre on its own, but a demo doesn't have to have a demostyle song to be a demo.

Its the same discussion as with chiptunes. You have a style called chiptune, and people label chiptunes such because it uses some chiptune sounds.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Quote from: LPChip on June 22, 2011, 14:02:42
You're wrong.
And you are right because...? I say "it is not a strictly defined genre", and I think this situation shows clearly that this is true - everyone has a different definition of demostyle, and neither yours is the only correct definition, nor the definition of any other person. I didn't even claim that a demo needs a demostyle song to be demo, where did you read that? I just say that people consider many tunes as "demostyle", even if their genres are not related in any way - f.e. towards immortality and gamma are two demo tunes that couldn't be more different, yet both are considered as "demostyle" by various people.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

mrvegas

Jojo -- thanks for the towards immorality link.  I liked that one a lot.  I'm always impressed by what people could do with the .mod format in the early 90s.

Christofori

Quote from: mrvegas on June 23, 2011, 02:28:00
I'm always impressed by what people could do with the .mod format in the early 90s.

*Space Debris FTW gooo captain* :D

I believe you both are right in ways unto your own understandings of course; but surely the debate also shows that a musician's perspective on demostyle would be as if to say: 'Hey, I'll show off a bit of this I just created to wow the audience!'  While a coder would similarly push the envelope, as would the other artists involved.

I do lean more towards LPChip's definition but one should also realize the points that DEMOS made 'demostyle' into something much more broad than it began it's life being. ^_^  The stance he's taken I don't know that I'd call 'oldskool' exactly but it does seem to harken from the days when the scene was still somewhat young IMO..

So yeah; a choon doesn't need to be associated with a dyed-in-the-wool Demo prod to be called 'demostyle;' nor does a kick-butt demo need to have a synthpopchipblahwhatever mix-that-someone-says-is-'demo' choon to make it a demo.  This reminds me of a conversation with my nephew today.. he didn't mean to bring it up quite this way but the closest thing I can relate it as would be the ol' "which came first, the chicken or the egg?" question.. could plauge mankind for the rest of time, as could this debate! *shrug*

Besides; you know what they say about oppinions.. ;)
/christofori
'slightly disturbed and wonderfully content'
*Master of the Obvious*

Louigi Verona

I know this - it's been a while since on this forum my release has gathered more than 0 replies ;)

LPChip

Quote from: Louigi Verona on June 23, 2011, 08:09:38
I know this - it's been a while since on this forum my release has gathered more than 0 replies ;)

I'm sorry... I'll not do that again :P

Christofori

We're just trying to boost your ego and help you to look more popular ^_^
/christofori
'slightly disturbed and wonderfully content'
*Master of the Obvious*

Louigi Verona

Thank you! I feel SOPATMITLC (sort of popular at the moment in this little company).

wandering genie

Louigi:

I just listened to your album. Thank for sharing your music. The very beginning till aproximately 6:43 reminds me the work of Steve Reich, though in your case you are working with electronic media. BUt the minimalistic atmosphera is there, also the Kraftwerk style robot voice are from this part.
I ike the sound of synths that appear around 10:00 and the almost monophonic line that appears around 13:00 (then acoompanied by some other voices). The beginning of this line is somehow more calm than the previous sections of the album and gives a nice contrast. By 15:40 I hear some xylophones or marimbas during a short lapse of time that are nice too.  :)

Louigi Verona

Thanks for the feedback! I am glad you caught the minimalistic atmosphere of the first half!