duplicating instruments problem

Started by justinrpg, June 03, 2011, 14:41:54

Previous topic - Next topic

justinrpg

when I open a midi file and I want to duplicate an instrument by holding shift+new instrument, it successfully duplicates but doesnt work, for example, I duplicated the 'guitar' to a new instrument, and now I have two 'guitar' that are exactly the same, i load meow.wav into the first one to change the first guitar to a cat meow, and I leave the second one the guitar... when I play the file the duplicated instrument doesn't work (but the original does (the cat meow changed one)... also if I duplicate an instrument a few times and export the file as midi, the duplicated instruments are not present when I load the midi in a different sequencer... is there some step i am missing to get duplicated instruments to work, is the same thing wrong or missing in both cases (not playing & not saving the duplicates)

LPChip

I'm not following you entirely, but one thing is for sure: Midi does not save a complete instrument and associated sounds. Midi only stores the instrument and bank number. Any sequencer can interpret that differently if they want to. Basically midi says: Bank 1, instrument 1 is a piano.

In order to keep the sound data, you'll have to save the file as a module. Any tracker or module player will then understand your changes correctly.

Do note though, that MODPlug tracker never ment to be a midi-editor.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Duplicating instruments will not duplicate their samples. You have to create a new sample first and then change the sample map (right part of the instrument tab) of the instrument to point to the new sample. That doesn't matter when exporting to MIDI again, though, since MIDI does not have samples.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.