[Synth pop] Tubular Wandering

Started by nims, July 29, 2012, 23:31:05

Previous topic - Next topic

nims

I had inspiration this Sunday and created this. Please listen and comment :). It reminds me to the old Tubular Bels days, so that is why I used Tubular in the name :).

http://soundcloud.com/goedzo/tubular-wandering

LPChip

How can I refuse to listen to this, when it comes from you. :)

Great to see you here. :)

Quite a dark sound (aka, heavy on the bass, little on the high end). There's this interesting melody in the background, which although it is a good background melody, I'd like to hear this better.

In the middle of the song, I do get a feeling the song doesn't know what direction it wants to take. You solve this basically by stopping the song and heading in a new direction. You might be able to create a transition there by adding a fill. I think it'll work better.

I'm curious how you link this to tubular bells, as this is quite different. I do get the tubular feeling by how the sound is, but this doesn't compare to Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells.

Good song nontheless. :) Keep it up.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

nims

Thanks for your reply, LP. It is indeed more the tubular feeling, instead of a comparison to Tubular Bells :).

Just a question, which background melody in the back, do you mean?

And I actually like that the song comes to a complete stop, because I hear more power in the second part. What do the other people think?

LPChip

Quote from: nims on July 30, 2012, 13:22:19
Just a question, which background melody in the back, do you mean?
The melodiyline that the song starts with. It gets pushed back by the rest as its twice as loud as this melodyline.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

I'd say this is rather house than synthpop, but then again who cares about genres. :D
Some of the melodies don't really stick out indeed, but I wouldn't say that it's "dark". The bass just pushes away everything else, and that should be improved.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

nims

Hey thanks for the feedback. Indeed the Bass was pushing everything away. I didn't notice this on my headphones, but on my set it was clear. So I've changed it and added filler and some ambient noises. Also changed the balance of the notes some more, so please try it again, and let me know what you think.

p.s. above link still works, but if you don't want to scroll up:
http://soundcloud.com/goedzo/tubular-wandering

Saga Musix

It does indeed seem to be balanced a bit better now, but of course the direct comparison is lost. Still a kinda nice tune.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.