change a midi to a loaded wav question

Started by justinrpg, June 03, 2011, 14:50:41

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

Quote from: justinrpg on June 04, 2011, 17:24:53
build my own? I am no composer!!!! if I tried that, it may sound like randomly hitting keys on a piano!!! not a song at all!!!! (basically what would happen if i just sat at a piano!!! I don't even know how to play a song!!!!)

Thats why you need to do the tutorial. Don't dismiss everything just because you haven't tried it. Composing music is not like playing the piano, and even if you actually would be taught how to properly play a piano (assuming you actually would want that), you would be able to play a simple tune. Like everything, you need just 2 things. 1, understanding the basic principles and 2, some experience.

The tutorial will do both in an easy to follow set of instructions. But honestly, if you really don't want to dive into this, I can't possibly see how we can help you further.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Rakib

Quote from: justinrpg on June 04, 2011, 17:24:53
build my own? I am no composer!!!! if I tried that, it may sound like randomly hitting keys on a piano!!! not a song at all!!!! (basically what would happen if i just sat at a piano!!! I don't even know how to play a song!!!!)
Thats how I started, and then downloaded other modules (not midi since its empty and has no samples), altered it, saw how it was built and tried with my own songs with "stolen" samples. And finally I was able to make my own songs that I could be proud of.
^^

Saga Musix

So you want to make music, but don't want to do it yourself, or at least try to. How does this make sense? I can only agree with LPChip and Rakib.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

I'll make it even easier.

Here's a link to the tutorial: http://wiki.openmpt.org/Tutorial:_Getting_Started

Edit by Mod: Updated link
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Christofori

Quote from: LPChip on June 04, 2011, 12:39:36
... After that, you'll understand the tracker far better and probably want to make your own music in modplug rather than editing older music anyway. Its just so much more fun to build a song from the ground up. Promised!

Heck yeah it is! :D

But yeah, if you're not a composer. writer, or musician at least, trying to create music could/would indeed be frustrating..  I'm guessing, but you're working on an RPG and finding/editing music for it..?  Getting into MIDI files via any tracker would be extremely confusing, especially if you're not all that familiar with MIDI notation at least.  Perhaps if you'd explain what you're trying to do someone might be kind enough to suggest alternative software that will make the job easier on you..?

I'm a musician and composer, but the first time I looked at a tracker, I put it down and backed away, not to return to it for about a year. :P  (I think it was screamtracker.. but definately was not MPT..!)  Plus then I still had to finish high school and get off to Uni, which was a big adjustment concerning my skills with time management... but I digress.  ;)
/christofori
'slightly disturbed and wonderfully content'
*Master of the Obvious*

justinrpg

just trying to make random song that I can listen to on my mp3 player... like the "I love reshiram' or the "I love Moltres" I want all the instrument to the midi, and one instrument changed to that, hence making the lyrics different notes of that phrase... I use other music software that doesn't use composition besides this...
music maker premium
saplitude
Band-in-a-box
noteworthy editor (allows me to change midi instruments into another midi instruments)
autotune

all those I use as well (for music) depending on my purpose for song, and what I want the song to be, and what I am trying to accomplish.

anywho, you guys changed everything I knew about Modplug Tracker... I always called it a 'midi manipulator' and first heard about Modplug Tracker on YouTube in a Windows XP error Mix... (if you are unfamiliar on what an error mix is, it is a song containing all and only error sounds from Windows... and most of them told me (or in the description) was made in ModPlug... they aslo provided a 'midi' in which the tune the error sounds were in from making in Modplug, hence making me call it a 'midi manipulator' so, my first thing I ever did in Modplug was, import a midi of Mozart's 'Rondo A La Turca' and changed the instruments into meow.wav (a cat's meow) and called the song 'Rondo A La Turca Gots Cats', and there I had 'rondo a la turca' in all cat meows....

being that i always known Modplug as a manipulator, in everything i do i have my own level system, when I learn things and get better at a certain program or task, I level up. i am saying this because of what Modplug Tracker really is according to all of you, I though I was leveling up, but after you guys told me the whole big picture of what Modplug's purpose is, I am back at level 1!

LPChip

I'm one of those who made a windows xp sounds song. You can find it on youtube and its called Windowed Experience.

And its good to see that you realise that modplug is quite different than a midi editor/manipulator. Even though you might still want to work with midi for whatever reason that might be, you should try the tutorial once, just to see what modplug really is and how it works. If you do the tutorial, I bet you will jump straight to level 3!

Saga Musix

ModPlug is not a midi editor, just like Notepad is not a code editor and PhotoShop is not a vector editor. It happens to have (poor) support for MIDI import/export, but that's it. Those Windows "remixes" you have seen on YouTube aren't MIDI tunes either, they are modules - modules are a completely different concept than MIDI and they are the basis of ModPlug and similar applications called trackers.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Christofori

I used the XP Error sound (somewhat craftilly I thought at the time, lol) in my 'Pandora's Box' tunes back in the day. ;)  Is there no end to the droves of people like us - who've used those sounds in some sort or another? :P  (I think the turn from 'computer-like' or effect sounds to more musical tones during the progression/development in versions of windoze over time, has something to do with it... or perhaps some of us just heard that freaking "BONK!" error sound too many times and had to annoy a few other people with it...!)

I agree with LPChip on the tutorial, would highly recommend it and the OHM for any/every-one.  We're quite fortunate to have these people working on OMPT (and it's support resources) in all of the aspects that they do.  The support resources for this tracker are simply golden.  I've always been able to find what I'm trying to figure out easilly (and have managed to learn a thing or two that's helped me save time AND expand my skills considerably along the way)!
/christofori
*Master of the Obvious*

justinrpg

ok, i am tying to do this tutorial and I got stuck.. it doesn't explain ANYTHING about the problem I'm having... it says to click on the 'instruments' tab but there is NO instrument tab in this file the tutorial is using, and under the 'view' menu instruments is greyed out!!!

Saga Musix

Then you didn't read the tutorial correctly. You shouldn't load Aryx directly but just access it through the treeview. Aryx is a S3M module, which don't support instruments.

Christofori

Not all module formats support the use of instruments.  To use instruments in a module, you need to be working with one of the following module types: .IT, .XM, .ITP and/or .MPTM

The MOD and S3M module formats have never (and likely never will) support instruments; they are literally sample-only. ;)

This should resolve your current issue; if you're working in a file type that doesn't support instruments, you can convert it (via the 'Song Properties' button on the General tab..) to a format that DOES (I would recommend .MPTM or .IT, then .XM [in order of preference I suppose.. hehe]) and then if you go to the Instruments tab and click the 'New Instrument' button the tracker will ask you if you want to convert the existing samples to instruments; select Yes, and you'll have instruments made from each of your samples.  Note that instruments will open a 'whole new world' of possibilities for you (like NNA's, envelopes, and whatnot -- you'll get there if you keep following the tutorial!)

Hope this helps you! ;)

/christofori
*Master of the Obvious*

LPChip

The tutorial starts with making a new song. By default, you'll get an .IT song. It then asks you to load aryx.s3m and switch back to your module1. It must be this stage where things went wrong.

Quote from: part of the wiki
Create a new song
The first icon in the toolbar is a white empty document. Press this button to create a new song.

Load Drum Samples from Aryx

OpenMPT can easilly handle working on several songs at once. You probably not want to actually edit 2 songs at the same time, but you can view one while working on another. :) We're going to use this principle to load in samples from Aryx.

The second icon in the toolbar is the open button. Press this button to open an existing song. If you haven't set a default path in the settings, it should open in My Documents. Browse to the Aryx song. Note, OpenMPT can load a Zip file if only that song is in the zip file. This is the case with Aryx. You must set it to All files to let the zipfiles be shown though... and saving is not possible to a zip file. :)

Once you've loaded Aryx, you'll see that it appears in the treeview on the left. It will also be the active song.

* Click on the menu window and then on 1. Module1

@Jojo: The tutorial actually wants you to open Aryx.s3m for the sake of simplicity. Describing how to find aryx.s3m through the treeview is much harder than just using the familiar open window.

justinrpg

yeah I already figured that out overnight, the problem was (did this 4 times) that it kept somehow automatically switching back over to the ARYX.sgm out of the blue...

anyway after figuring THAT out, I completed the tutorial + made 3 on my own! it was SO easy!!! I just love that (in with row spacing and such) i can just type random words and it generated a good enough song, like the wav 'I love Moltres' i could type 'moltres' as notes and/or sentences about moltres while strategically placing the note stops and stuff and stratigically using the octaves to my advantage...

I was SO reluctant to do this tutorial, but you guys were right!!! total level ups!!! *Bitch got owned! I mean, just got punched in the face!!!*

LPChip

Congrats :)

Now, enjoy the rest of this "game". You're at level 3. 167 levels to go (or something...)