random OpenMPT has stopped working errors + no autosave

Started by justinrpg, June 19, 2011, 22:57:39

Previous topic - Next topic

justinrpg

i just spent 3 hours working on a song and for some odd reason, ModPlug no longer autosaves my work which is VERY terrible because, I keep constantly randomly getting OpenMPT has stopped working!!! and it just did that after 3 hours of work with no autosaves!! not even in the main directory!!!! losing all I  have done, I've experienced random has stopped working errors with this ever since i first used this!!!
number 1: what is causing these random has stopped working error?
number 2: why is it no longer autosaving?

i am using Windows7, and don't have this problem with ANY OTHER program, just Mod Plug!!!

Christofori

This is frustrating; I lost an entire song a few months back because of some freakish circumstances I'll not go into here/now... but I'll say at the time I had disabled AutoSave in OMPT to avoid the periodic pause on my creativity whilest waiting for it to save the track... However, I'll get more toward your issue and see if there's anything that might guide you towards an answer or solution. ;)

First, please ensure your AutoSave is (still) enabled; click View > Setup and then select the AutoSave tab.  In the resulting properties dialog, ensure your "Enable Autosave" option is indeed checked, and that your "Save Every" value is something realistic (I have mine set to 30 minutes... since I use project files with many large samples the save time is about 20 seconds, during which time I cannot do anything in the tracker) -- and that your "Keep up to" value is accordingly realistic (I would suggest 4 but it is your own preference here..).

Then, ensure that the location setting OMPT uses to store these backups exists.  There are 2 choices:

• If it is set to use the song's original directory, check the folder where your module resides; if nothing can be found there, it is POSSIBLE that you might have the module saved in multiple locations and that perhaps OMPT is writing the autosaves to an alternate folder (search your hard drive for files of the same name as your module; any resulting 'hits' should be investigated to see if the autosave files are there).  If you haven't ever saved your module, then no autosave could have been created -- as the feture requires a module already have a filename in order to make autosave files... so this could be your answer -- depends on whether or not you'd saved it at all.  As a general rule, I save modules after adding a few samples or instruments, and try to save every time I remember to do so when editing pattern data...
  • If on the other hand, you have a specific folder picked, then the autosaves should be there; copy the value/path in the "Use" parameter, and then depress and hold your Windows key (bottom row near your ALT key(s) and has the mickeysoft windoze flag represented on it, usually..) AND tap your R key to bring up your "Run" windows dialog.  Paste the path you just copied into this window and click "Ok" or "Run" (they could've changed it in 7; I still use XP..) and you will then be given a window showing the content(s) of the autosave folder.. and your autosave files should be there (they should not ever be system or hidden files by default if memory serves, but.. if you've specified a folder to use for autosaves and nothing is in it, let me know and I can help you check to make sure the files aren't just hidden from view..).
As for the crashing, it is likely due to a memory leak... which (if there is no crash data to review) is pretty much impossible to help you figure out.  However, please let us know the following:

• Are you using any VST/VSTi's inside OMPT?  Does it crash as you mention without them loaded?
  • What other programs may be running at the same time?
  • How large are the samples you're using, and how many are loaded?  This could be difficult to answer as you apparently hadn't saved your module at all while working on it (I'm assuming here as you stated you lost 3 hours' worth of work..) but I cannot overstate the importance of saving manually at periodic intervals..!  One should never rely solely on a computer or a program to ensure productivity is not lost.  In other words, the only way you can be 100% certain you've got something to show for your efforts is if you save it yourself.. quickest way is CTRL-S... ;)  --- but as usual, I digress.  Back to the point -- I routinely work with module files from 250MB to 300MB in size; and ones that large can cause surprisingly different behavior within OMPT than smaller modules.  To put it succinctly: I have more crashes than a 'normal' person would have in OMPT simply because the module files I'm working with are so large; the more RAM (memory) you're using in/with an application, the greater chances of a memory leak causing a problem within said app.
My wordiness aside, if you'll provide more detail we can help you better. ;)
/christofori
'slightly disturbed and wonderfully content'
*Master of the Obvious*

LPChip

Autosave will only work if you saved your song atleast once, so an autosave-filename can be generated.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Christofori

/christofori
*Master of the Obvious*

LPChip

"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Christofori

You'd think I'd be much more succinct, as many people as have 'pointed out' my longwindedness in some manner. :P
/christofori
*Master of the Obvious*

LPChip

Quote from: christofori on June 20, 2011, 08:57:23
You'd think I'd be much more succinct, as many people as have 'pointed out' my longwindedness in some manner. :P

Lets just say... In a previous topic, Justinrpg had some problems following the tutorial, possibly due to it being a long text. I decided to help him by summarizing the most likely cause :P

Christofori

/christofori
*Master of the Obvious*

Saga Musix

Quote from: LPChip on June 20, 2011, 06:48:31
Autosave will only work if you saved your song atleast once, so an autosave-filename can be generated.
Uhm please, where did you get that from? OpenMPT will also autosave unsaved files. Not sure where it puts them when you use the "use song's directory" option, however I'd recommend the following procedure anyway:

- Enabled Autosave to save songs every few minutes into a folder (which you just use for autosaving) specified in the settings dialog
- Enable "Create backup copies" in the general tab. Yes, this is not the same as autosaving. With this option, the previously existing file is renamed to oldfile.bak (from oldfile.it or whatever), so it is useful if you just accidentally hit the save button or deleted a file.
- Enable shadow copies in your operating system if not already done. At least in Vista and Win7, they are enabled by default for all local drives. Shadow copies have been proven to be the most important backup tool for me in the past, I use them frequently.

Quotenumber 1: what is causing these random has stopped working error?
Which version of OpenMPT are you using?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.