[Alternative] Becoming an Angel (mp3)

Started by Harbinger, September 17, 2010, 17:30:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Harbinger

This version sat complete on our computer, and i never realized it was a finished piece. I think i left it behind because i wanted to make it better with sounds from the M1 VSTi. But i'll release that as a separate mix.

For you 80s afficianados, the theme is markedly similar to Simple Mind's "Brass Band in Africa" (the B-side of the "Don't You Forget About Me" single. (Oh my God am i old!) But i actually composed the main theme on the M1 when i lived in Minneapolis in 1991. Fifteen years later, after i started tracking with ModPlug Tracker, i found the theme on an old set of notes. With our meager setup, Yjana recorded the drum track; later Dustin recorded the bass track (i believe it was the 2nd or 3rd one he did with us). I then used MPT to mix everything and used a couple of VSTi's for the synthwork.

I still want to make it better, as in richer. But for now we'll call this the "86 Mix" (catchy huh?).

Go here to download, and please mind the license...

KrazyKatz

The sounds of the instruments themselves have a really great analogue sound to them. Like it's from a classic synth. Very warm.

As for the composition itself, you have a great ability at wrapping sounds around the listener... tough one to explain but I think you can get it when you hear it. That's relevant with your old and new pieces. Not something everyone can do.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

LPChip

First thought:

Wow, 80' synth sounds, Awesome! :)

This certainly has my attention.

Then the drums come in.

Oh my... This really is one fantastic song. Sound quality could be improved, but honestly, I don't give a damn. Perhaps even because due to it, it brings me closer to this '80 feel, which is a good thing.

If I wanna bitch, then you could've put a bit more variety in the drums in the sense that you could've used different snare sounds and played a bit with the volume to make it more human. But the variety in the drums itself is great. Here and there perhaps a tommy drum.

I really love the warm sound and texture in this song.

Yes this piece is magnificient! Please make more.

Can I have permission to put this on my mp3 player so I can listen to this in other places than my computer? :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Harbinger

Thanks guys! I'm glad you liked it. Yes, LP, you can do whatever you want with your copy of the song, except upload it (y'know where other people can get it), distribute it, broadcast it, make money off it, or claim it as your own. This is my license with all my stuff. Might i suggest that you don't make yourself sick of it. Pace yourself... 8)

Someday in the future i will update it, as i composed this on MPT before i really started getting into VSTs. I used beat loops from acoustic samples (the drums and bass), assigned them to instruments in MPT, then added some VSTi layers later.

When i listened to it again recently, i didn't realize i had actually finished it. Upon remembering, i recalled i didn't release it because to me it was still rather bare. This child still has not realized her full potential.

KrazyKatz: Thanks for your compliments about my composition skills. I often say, i'm not attractive, i'm not rich, i have nothing going for me, but i can compose anyone out of the room. That is the one thing i can do well. Everyone else can beat me at everything else.:oops:

Harbinger

Updated link at Trax-in-Space. You may have to be a member to download, but it's a great sister site to the ModPlug forums...

uncloned

I'm surprised you gave away some rights to your music.

However, by submitting the User Submissions to TiS, you hereby grant TiS a worldwide, non-exclusive, fully-paid and royalty-free, sublicenseable and transferable license to non-commercially use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the User Submissions in connection with the TiS Website and TiS's (and its successor's) business, including without limitation for promoting and redistributing part or all of the TiS Website (and derivative works thereof) in any media formats and through any media channels. Non-commerical means that TiS will not sell uploaded songs in any format without the permission of the artist and copyright holder. Not-commerical does not apply to other revenue forms that TiS may generate from the use of its website or derivative businesses such as widgets. You also hereby grant each user of the TiS Website a non-exclusive license to access your User Submissions through the Website, and to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display and perform such User Submissions as permitted through the functionality of the Website and under these Terms of Service. The foregoing license granted by you terminates once you remove or delete a User Submission from the TiS Website.

You didn't read the terms of service?  http://www.traxinspace.com/terms

Harbinger

This mix is not the one i wanted...it was a throw-together...

You should see a doctor concerning this need to bust the balls of hard-asses.  :P