How to add swing to tracks.

Started by stolenfat, May 16, 2011, 09:05:30

Previous topic - Next topic

stolenfat

I cant for the life of my figure out how to ad an element of swing / quantization   to my tracks with MPT.  I used to be able to do it with my old midi tracker easily.

any help?

searching didnt get me any results that helped out.

Louigi Verona

The oldskool way are speech changes. Like

A05
A07
A05
A07

You have the find the correct pair of values to get the swing you need.

stolenfat

you cant just select all ---> add swing percentage?

LPChip

Indeed, you can't.

Either use a speedswing or give every 2nd and 4th note a notedelay command (SDx).

The speedswing is much easier, but the notedelay technique allows you some freedom, though it is a sacrefice of effectparameter space.

If you want more swing, try A08, A04, A08, A04, A08

@Louigi Verona: You probably mean A07, A05 (the higher value first, because otherwise the swing sounds weird and incorrect) Slow part first, then the fast part.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Nothing is "incorrect" in music. You can do it both ways, depending on what sound you want to achieve. The other way is just a lot more common, but that doesn't say that it's the only right way.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Rakib

Or just load a sequenser inside modplug that can do the swing for you.
http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=4322.0
^^

stolenfat

would any one know of a way for me to take another's work in IT format and simply had mass swing to it for sampling purposes?   with out having to edit the timing of every note!

Saga Musix

Yes, you just got told three times. You can use Paste Flood to speed the process up (i.e., two copy speed change commands like A08/A04 and Paste Flood them at the beginning of every pattern). Are you sure you have the rights to work with that "another's work", though?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Louigi Verona

You should go to sites with other people's music. Try out Vibrants .xm files (they can be saved as .it) DRAX has lots of swings in his tunes.

QuoteAre you sure you have the rights to work with that "another's work", though?

Don't poison a young man's mind with this, I beg you.

Saga Musix

Quote from: Louigi Verona on May 18, 2011, 07:19:47
Don't poison a young man's mind with this, I beg you.
There have been enough newbees in the history of ModArchive and other module sites who have taken other people's work, modified it slightly and uploaded it as their own. For practice that's maybe ok, but not for spreading around.

Louigi Verona

I agree, plagiarism is bad. I just did not see this person speaking about it, he said he wanted to look at another person's work that has swing.

Saga Musix

i suppose "had" in that sentence was supposed to be "add". which would result in taking someone else's work, adding swing and sampling it.

Christofori

I tend to switch between swing and 'straight' feels somewhat freely in my works -- to do so I set the pattern row count to be something equally divisable by 2 and 3 (or to use the lowest common denominator, 6).  Then it's only a matter of timing/note placement.  ;)

Duple:        Triple:        Swing:
A-5              A-5            A-5
..                 ..               ..
..                 A-5            ..
A-5              ..               ..
..                 A-5            A-5
..                 ..               ..

Though I must also note that this method makes it harder (I suppose..) to generate a 'live' sounding mix with true 'laying back' as jazzers would say; almost can sound to mechanical or 'ricky-ticky' perhaps.  Some freedom and experimentation should be used if you're looking for that particular feel with this method.

Alternatively, I've used SDx note delay commands, though as mentioned above it does cause sacrifice of the effects column.  But if you just want to swing a SMALL part of a pattern and aren't using any effects therein, it's a good method, too.   Also, the 'x' in either the speed or SDx command is conversely affected by said other setting (it took me forever to figure that out, lol).  F.E. I'd wonder how come some of my notes with 'SD3' commands wouldn't play [the Axx speed setting was 3 as well -- you need to use a value in the SDx command which is SMALLER than the tick speed of the pattern in the Axx command..!].  :D

Hope this helps!

[Edit: The 'Lowest Common Denominator' trick mentioned above is also useful when you need alternating rhythmic patterns (FE: 3 against 4, or 4 against 5... or triplets/quartuplets, and quartuplets/quintuplets if you will).  You simply multiply your two figures together and then count the lines for your notes (this example is 3 against 4, place a triplet each fourth line and a quart. each third line... this would essentially give you three 8th note triplets against 4 sixteenth-notes, in other words):

Triple:    Quart:
A-5         A-5
..            ..
..            ..
..            A-5
A-5         ..
..            ..
..            A-5
..            ..
A-5         ..
..            A-5
..            ..
..            ..

Now you can easilly track any nonstandard figure into your time signature when desired. ;)   I used MPT back in Uni to illustrate this point with percussionists who had issues playing 5 against 4 while swearing they were accurate... ;)  /edit]
/christofori
'slightly disturbed and wonderfully content'
*Master of the Obvious*