Possible to convert Midi to Tracker Module using custom soundfont?

Started by Namo, February 01, 2011, 05:55:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Namo

Is there anyway I can convert a MIDI to a tracker module using a different soundfont than the default system one, using OpenMPT?

Alternatively, is there a way to switch the instruments used in a midi with instruments from a different soundfont?

Thank you!

psishock

OMPT is not a midi sequencer, so editing, changing midis are not really recommended to do with it.

However if you import a midi track and save it as a tracker module, all of the sounds will be converted to samples anyway, and you can do whatever you like with them. Change any of them samples, use external (vst) instruments, import additional midi sounds, and so on.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Saga Musix

You have to replace the instruments in your MIDI Library. By default, they're all mapped to GM.DLS. (Hacking mptrack.ini might be easier if you just want to replace all of them with a different soundfont).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Namo

Alright, I'll give those a shot and report back with my results.  Thank you.

The reason I ask is that I need to use either Midi or a Tracker Module, but I want to use my own instrument set/Soundfont.

runnersdialzero

Hey Namo, I'm looking to do something similar. How did you make out with this?

Saga Musix

As mentioned before, if you want to rely on MPT's poor MIDI import, simply replace the MIDI Library - Right-click the MIDI Library folder, choose "Import MIDI Library" and load a different soundfont. Then you can import MIDI Files using this new soundfont. Or alternatively use something like MID2XM.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Namo

Extremely late reply, I know, but editing the config file worked.  Thank you very much, Jojo!