Main Menu

Rewire

Started by snowball, March 18, 2006, 17:18:12

Previous topic - Next topic

snowball

Is it possible to connect Modplug with some other software like for example Plogue Bidule. Does Modplug support Rewire or there is some other way to do this? Thanks for the answers.

LPChip

Modplug doesn't support ReWire.

In fact, Modplug is pretty limited about connecting.

You can however use a vst to make modplug send out data to another program (you need midibag for that) It has the net2mid vst's which you can use to route midi date to another application.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

snowball

I downloaded that net2mid, but can't get it working. Can you explain me, please? I want that modplug received midi data from other host (in my case bidule). So i need to open that plug(s) in modplug, or bidule, or both? I'm very confused, please help :?.

LPChip

If you don't have midi equipment already, you might be interested in the following which comes directly out of the readme file of midibag:

try the free MIDIYoke virtual
MIDI patchbay (works from Win95 to WinXP) which is available
here: http://www.midiox.com/
This driver adds 8 virtual MIDI drivers to your system that
can be opened by several applications simultaneously.

You can use it to make Cubase output to a midi port, and set it in modplug as midi in, in your settings.

If you want to work the otherway around; modplug sends out data in the pattern screen, then you need midibag.

Another tip from the readme of midibag (haven't you read it at all? :P)

One more tip: for hosts that can only send MIDI to
VST instruments and not to VST effects, you can add
a "ins" string anywhere in the DLL filename to turn it
into a VST instrument. Example: rename "VST2NET.DLL" to
"VST2NET INS.DLL" to make it a VST instrument. (modplug can do this though, so its not required)

To set modplug to output to another host, work as follows:

add a vst (VST2MID) or (VST2NET) If you use VST2NET, you also need NET2VST on the other application.

But since you'll be needing the first option, I can't really provide you how you need to work with that.

I'd say it goes like this...

1.You install the product
2. in cubase, you set this new midi port as midi out (from this point playing shouldn't give you sound anymore)
3. in modplug go to the setup screen, midi tab
4. select the same midi port you used as in cubase (since you get lots, mistakes can be made easilly i guess?)
5. in modplug, enable midi record (which is the keyboard icon on the toolbar
6. You can now test if its working by going to the instrument tab, insert a sound there (if not done already) and play cubase.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

rewbs

QuoteOne more tip: for hosts that can only send MIDI to VST instruments and not to VST effects, you can add
into a VST instrument.
Where did you hear this!? What if I have an effect called "CoolEffectInside.dll"?

LPChip

Quote from: "rewbs"
QuoteOne more tip: for hosts that can only send MIDI to VST instruments and not to VST effects, you can add
into a VST instrument.
Where did you hear this!? What if I have an effect called "CoolEffectInside.dll"?

LOL, this is only for the midibag plugins. It won't work on others. Its buildin the plugins to respond once the filename has been altered.

I "heard" this in the readme file of midibag.

rewbs